Master Scuba Diver. What do I need??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just phil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, I just finished the Rescue diver course & really enjoyed it!
i asked the instructor what I need to apply for Master Scuba Diver. He told me that I needed 8 specialties plus my rescue course.
I have read some conflicting information regarding this on the web & just want to know what is needed...
I really don't mind if I need to pick up a few more specialties. It's just that I'm a task oriented person & want to have a plan.
I have my Open Water & Advanced Open Water thru PADI. Then I moved & the local dive shop is SDI. I have 4 separate specialty courses thru SDI plus as I said I just finished the Rescue course with SDI.

So, having said all that, what do I need to have to apply for Master Scuba Diver?

As a PADI and SSI instructor, I'm not familiar with SDI performance requirements. That being said, most MSD programmes in general require 50 logged dives & 5 specs. You've already met the prerequisites.

5 specs and 50 dives are the requirements I'm aware of.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Certification Requirements Thru PADI:

Minimum Age - 12 Year Old
Note: 12-14 year old divers may earn Junior Master Scuba Diver certifications.

Certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (Junior AOW), a PADI Rescue Diver (Junior Rescue Diver), and certification in five PADI Specialty or TecRec courses.
Note: Specialty diver or TecRec certifications must be PADI – no other certifications qualify. AOW & Rescue Courses can be by other agency; you will need the Date Certified, Agency's name Instructor's Name, and Instructor's Number...all of this should be on your Cert. Card.

Logged 50 dives (at completion)

The SDI Master Scuba Diver requirements are minimal. The instructor guide says:

The SDI Master Scuba Diver Development Program was created to make true master divers.
The SDI Master Scuba Diver Development program requires a new open water diver to complete 4 SDI Specialties, the SDI Rescue Diver Course, and logged 50 dives. SDI feels a diver will be a true master scuba diver after this is accomplished.

Master Scuba Diver Certification procedures for students: 1. Completion of 4 SDI Specialty Courses or equivalent; only 1 course without dives, may be credited towards the master diver development program, with the exception of nitrox

2. Provide proof of 50 logged dives

3. Completion of the SDI Rescue Diver Course or equivalent

What this means-- because of the "or equivalent" -- is the PADI requirements and courses can be used for the SDI Master Scuba Diver card!
Your shop is not accurate if they say you need 8 specialties. If you have 50 dives, you can apply with what you have: SDI Rescue plus four SDI specialties.

If they argue, ask them to show you the Instructor Guide. If they argue, call SDI.

If you went the NAUI route you have to take an additional course with a written test. It is very similar to the dive master course without the need to buy insurance.

If you went the NAUI route you have to take an additional course with a written test. It is very similar to the dive master course without the need to buy insurance.

DMs only need insurance if they are actively working (at least with PADI).

Straight from the SDI Standards and Procedures

11.3 Graduation Requirements
Master Scuba Diver Certification procedures for students:
1. Completion of 4 SDI Specialty Courses or equivalent; only 1 course without dives, may be credited
towards the master diver development program, with the exception of nitrox
2. Provide proof of 50 logged dives
3. Completion of the SDI Rescue Diver Course or equivalent
4. After the previous requirements are met and verified by an instructor, the instructor must issue the
appropriate SDI certification by submitting the SDI Diver Registration form to SDI Headquarters or
registering the students online through member’s area of the SDI website.
*Note - Requirements for divers under the age of 18 include the above provided the 4 specialty courses
they have completed, are allowed by their age

i asked the instructor what I need to apply for Master Scuba Diver. He told me that I needed 8 specialties plus my rescue course.

So, having said all that, what do I need to have to apply for Master Scuba Diver?
Money. Especially with this guy. Looks like he's inflating the requirements so you buy more courses from him. I'd think twice about giving him more of your business, he's already shown his business ethics to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom