Master Scuba Diver. What do I need??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to mark it in my spreadsheet when I do 45 minutes of cardio, not that anyone cares about this "achievement", and I do not expect recognition... being healthy later in life is a nice goal, but it is awfully vague and abstract, kind of like being a good diver... collecting check-marks on my spreadsheet is more tangible, and I can trick my lizard brain to desire a weekly quota of those checkmarks. In the end, the result is the same.

Just curious, why do you want the Master Scuba Diver card? It really doesn't have much value in terms of education, being allowed to make certain types of dives, or prestige.

It's simple really. My very first day of pool dives, I went home and called my dad to tell him about my new found passion. He was very encouraging & always interested. It was always our little joke, "Are you a Master Diver yet?"
So now that he has passed away, I just want to get it to "complete the circle" I guess.
i know that it has "no value" as far accreditation goes, and by no means is it the end of my training.

i really appreciate all of the reply's & information shared

Cheers
Phil

It's simple really. My very first day of pool dives, I went home and called my dad to tell him about my new found passion. He was very encouraging & always interested. It was always our little joke, "Are you a Master Diver yet?" …

Fair enough, and is the best reason I can think of. Although your dad was probably eluding to US Navy Master Divers, it in close enough on this case.

To be honest, all the US Navy Master Divers I have had the privilege to know sucked, literally and figuratively, at Scuba. The very best I worked with could suck down a set of doubles faster than a gas turbine and would get bent almost every time he went over the side. However, he could pick up on every little detail and connect all the dots no matter how complex the risk. Even the ones I personally couldn’t stand could be trusted to keep you alive and get the job done or find the guy that could.

Like SDI Master Scuba Diver, there is no master diver class in the Navy. It is a test that lasts for weeks and is judged by a panel of Master Divers.

Thanks

It's simple really. My very first day of pool dives, I went home and called my dad to tell him about my new found passion. He was very encouraging & always interested. It was always our little joke, "Are you a Master Diver yet?"
So now that he has passed away, I just want to get it to "complete the circle" I guess.
Best reason I've ever heard. Go get that certification.

Question for PADI instructors:

Someone can come to you and take a rescue course with an AOW from NAUI, SSI, SDI etc.

Can this same person come to you with 5 specialties from NAUI, SSI, SDI etc with 50 logged dives and rescue to get the MSD?

Hey Randy (it's jay) Nope, just checked, they must be PADI courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Can a diver get the SDI Master Diver cert. if all his qualifying coursework was done at other agencies? No SDI courses, all equivalent from other agencies?

You can get the naui master with courses from other agencies. I had padi ow, ssi aow and naui rescue when I got my naui masters.

I'm under the impression that the NAUI Master Scuba Diver course is an actual course - I picked up a copy of the text book for it. It's not just a 'cert.' recognizing completion of other prerequisites - but an actual course. The manual is a good read, even for people like me who will probably never take the course. Not once I see offered around here anyway (in southwestern KY).

Richard.

You can get the naui master with courses from other agencies. I had padi ow, ssi aow and naui rescue when I got my naui masters.

Then the instructor broke standards. The NAUI Master class is an actual class. Not a recognition of someone spending money on other classes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom