Mastering Rebreathers 2nd Edition...A Must Read for New CCR Divers??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Ben

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was told by my instructor to read this book. I wonder what others (CCR instructors and/or students) think? Is this the "bible" and a "must read"??

Yes it's a must read.

It's a concise overview of rebreathers and their operations in an easy to read format written by an experienced diver. I'm glad I own it and it's likely contributed to my longevity. Also, useful in filling gaps in knowledge within my curious mind. Otherwise, I would have pestered my instructors unnecessarily even more.

That said, you can learn from a good instructor through mentorship and not read any book.

I've not heard of anyone who dislikes the book or felt it wasn't worth reading.

Regards,
Cameron

Fully agree.

Reading the book was my tipping point in deciding to go from OC to CCR.
Also tought me a few things that came useful later after the training. A good instructor gives you a lot but not everything. You learn reading but above all diving and stealing tricks of the trade from others. The book contains those in a well organised format ready for digestion.

Well worth the money.

Cheers

Thanks for posting about this.

I searched for this book on Amazon and the only copies available were used, starting around $150. I figured I was screwed on getting my own copy.

Then something tipped me to check Best Publishing directly and they have new copies in stock. $45, in softcover. I hope to have my copy next week!

Mastering Rebreathers, 2nd Edition

I had issue with it as well and I bought a soft copy for my ipad .... from best publishing. It is a few years back now and I do not remeber how much it was but I feel less tahn that and no shipping cost!
But I would have liked a real book!

I had issue with it as well and I bought a soft copy for my ipad .... from best publishing. It is a few years back now and I do not remeber how much it was but I feel less tahn that and no shipping cost!
But I would have liked a real book!

The eBook version is $30. I bought that one yesterday and then learned that they deliver it in some locked, proprietary format that you can only read using their special reader program or application. I was expecting something I could read in my Kindle app or similar. A proprietary reader means maybe I can still read my book in 5 years, on whatever platform is current at that time, or maybe I can't. I don't like that. I emailed them and requested a refund. They took care of it promptly and now I'm ordering the physical book instead.

It's a little dated but still the best rebreather book out there.

The eBook version is $30. I bought that one yesterday and then learned that they deliver it in some locked, proprietary format that you can only read using their special reader program or application. I was expecting something I could read in my Kindle app or similar. A proprietary reader means maybe I can still read my book in 5 years, on whatever platform is current at that time, or maybe I can't. I don't like that. I emailed them and requested a refund. They took care of it promptly and now I'm ordering the physical book instead.
I know and that is why I would have preferred a real book.
But being in Italy shipping and duty would have added a lot of cost and hassle to the process. Also is an Acrobat format. as long as you properly handle rights is portable between devices. I think!

I just got it - easy, free setup for both the OS X and iOS versions. I also hate proprietary software for anything that has a really long potential useful life (like metadata on genealogy photos). But I figure that by the time that Adobe is out of business and there are no more legacy readers available, I'll probably want a newer rebreather book...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom