Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:sigh: from the horse's mouth: Buhlmann equation + GF:
P amb. tol. = (P i.g. - GF * a) / (GF/b - GF + 1)
GF = GF slope * Current Stop Depth + GF Hi
GF slope = (GF Hi - GF Lo) / (Final Stop Depth - First Stop Depth)

If this is implemented as defined above, on a no-stop dive First Stop Depth = Final Stop Depth = surface, the last bit results in division by zero, and the whole thing evaluates to GAMOVER.

And that’s not the way SW implement GF’s for NDL dives. Not saying it’s right/wrong.

If you’re aware of which other computers implement it that way for NDL dives please do share.

Can you provide a link/source for the above formula please.

I agree, I think that is what he meant, but it wasn't really what he said.
I am saying you need two unlikely events to have a problem, and the second of those is an acceptable risk 100% of the time to some people (eg Scubadada)

Imagine a RB diver with a computer and a backup. The first is set to 50/80 and the second to 49/99. The plan is to dive 50/80 unless there is a co2 hit requiring a swift exit or an electronics failure on the primary.

I think every one will agree the probability of getting hurt with. GF of 99 is higher than with a GF of 80.

If we call lots of dives at 80 good odds, and lots at 99 poor odds then I am suggesting that the shift from good to poor which occurs on one dive, in the case of an unlikely failure (co2 hit or hardware failure) is very small. The chances are you will get away with the one 99 ascent, whereas the chances are you will not get away with 1000 GF 99 ascents, 999 at 80 and 1 at 99 is essentially the same as 1000 at 80.

And that’s not the way SW implement GF’s for NDL dives. Not saying it’s right/wrong.

If you’re aware of which other computers implement it that way for NDL dives please do share.

Google Erik Baker.

Really they just ignore a first stop as being too short to matter and then the limiting GF and so tolerated ppN2 leaps in a single bound from GF lo to nearly GF hi.

You need to take a ruler to the proper ‘how GF works’ diagrams and have a think, but be careful because most of those diagrams are wrong, projecting the GF low line linearly below the first stop.

:rofl3: I'm the bloody migrant here, I'm the one supposed to not get "horse's mouth". Read a book mate.

Google Erik Baker.

Really they just ignore a first stop as being too short to matter and then the limiting GF and so tolerated ppN2 leaps in a single bound from GF lo to nearly GF hi.

You need to take a ruler to the proper ‘how GF works’ diagrams and have a think, but be careful because most of those diagrams are wrong, projecting the GF low line linearly below the first stop.

Thanks for that.

I 're-found' this other thread for those interested about the two ways GFLo can be implemented: Gradient Factors and recreational diving

Comparing the algorithms between the Cressi SF0 and Petrel 50/80 has been interesting. Work has been crazy so not a lot of free time but impressions thus far on Nitrox and non-square profiles...

On first dive, the Cressi is more liberal.

Repetitive dives vary. On second dives the Cressi still tends to be more liberal, especially early or deepish in the dive. On 3rd dives after a long lunch break, the Cressi regains some ground and tends to liberal over the Petrel again but 4th dives go to the Petrel.

Overall observations...

The Cressi loves my Bonaire style of diving even with repetitive diving, deepish early and often abbreviated SI’s. I assume it is because the last half of the dive is 30 to 15 feet. The Cressi was less conservative for the majority of the 26 dives over 7 days.

The Cressi was less enthused with my Cozumel trips. Dives tended no deeper but average depth is slightly deeper since I don’t have those long shallow endings. The Petrel often became the most liberal on the second dive, but not by much. At least not until I do ascend more shallow. Then the difference becomes noticeable.

One of the most notable differences was the way they handled ascents after approaching NDL’s. Both the Cressi and Petrel would regain NDL time as I ascended but typically the Petrel started it deeper and was more generous. I would often hit “99” on the Petrel at 40 feet or so but not on the Cressi until about 20.

One of the most notable differences was the way they handled ascents after approaching NDL’s. Both the Cressi and Petrel would regain NDL time as I ascended but typically the Petrel started it deeper and was more generous. I would often hit “99” on the Petrel at 40 feet or so but not on the Cressi until about 20.

Might be an artifact of the recalculation frequency: if e.g. petrel does it every 20 seconds and giotto: every 40 seconds, then it'll take the latter twice as long to compute 99. You'd typically expect it from a beefier computer, simply because its CPU is faster. Whether any interval shorter than the fastest tissue's halftime is actually meaningful as far as the model is concerned, is a completely different question.

Might be an artifact of the recalculation frequency: if e.g. petrel does it every 20 seconds and giotto: every 40 seconds, then it'll take the latter twice as long to compute 99. You'd typically expect it from a beefier computer, simply because its CPU is faster. Whether any interval shorter than the fastest tissue's halftime is actually meaningful as far as the model is concerned, is a completely different question.
You know. That might be it. Off the weekend. I will see if I have a slow, prolonged ascent to compare.

Might be an artifact of the recalculation frequency: if e.g. petrel does it every 20 seconds and giotto: every 40 seconds,
I'm not sure if this is the case in this instance. Based on the Cressi Giotto user manual; Measuring field: 0-120 m, measured every second and data acquisition interval: 20 sec.

Cressi Giotto specs.PNG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom