Matchup Integrated inflator with BC?!!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edentel

New
Reaction score
I was just ceritifed last year and have been diving with rental equipment. I'm now ready to buy my first set of gear and I've been driving my wife nuts with magazines and scuba websites trying to lock in on the equipment I want.

The one thing I haven't found is any info on which integrated inflator/octos work with which other companies BC's.

I think I've settled on a Transpac 2 bc with travel wing and a rec wing. Since I do travel alot I want a nice compact setup, so I'm going to outfit the travel wing with an integrated inflator.

Since DiveRite doesn't have one I'm forced to look elsewhere... I'm guessing that ScubaPro's Air2 might work out of box since their Trek line of bc's are the old Transpac 1 with the various wings. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm also interested in the Zeagle and TUSA inflators but I can't find any info on if these would work out of box, or how much it would take to fit the travel wing with these guys.

As a last resort I've seen the Genesis Sidekick/Sherwood Minimus/Oceanic InlineSlimline device which would just connect between the existing lp hose and inflator. However this seems a bit bulky/cumbersome.

Any pointers or advice from people who've crossed brands?

Thanks,
Ed

Hello edentel,
Welcome to the boards, and congratulations on joining the realm of scuba diving. As for your questions, all I can do is offer what I have and then summon our resident genious "Rainreg" to offer a sampling of his knowledge.

My SeaQuest B.C.'s and US Divers B.C. inflator's are in fact interchangable, but that is not the case with many other brands. Many of them choose not to make the sizing universal for some reason that eludes me.

I'll shoot Rainreg an e-mail and ask him to post here.

I've done this.

I have a scubapro (master?) jacket, with the basic scubapro inflator attached. Behing this, but infront of the tank I have a Buddy Redwing (independent set of wings). The buddy wings came with (as standard) the APvalves inflator. I removed this and put a Scubapro inflator on with absolutely no problems.

The only reason that I changed was that I wanted the two to have the same inflator. The local dealer was more than happy to sell me the inflator (and hose) for me to fit.

You will have to play around, or find some-one that has already made the change you want to. I was lucky, and knew a guy that had fitted the Buddy (APvalves) inflator to his scubapro jacket, and knew that the fittings were the same diametre. It could be expensive if you can't try things before, so ask round lots before you finally buy things.

Jon T

Hello Edentel, I dive with a Transpac II/Travel Wings combo and have attached an Air II to the wings without a hitch. It works great.

The Air II requires a special LP fitting. You will need to buy the hose as well. I personally would not use an combination inflator/regulator because:

You will find that you have limited range of movement of the head when using one of these. You will also have restricted use of the deflator which can lead to bouancy control problems during use. (In an emergency this is the wrong time to have additional problems or limitations.)

The failure of one part of these units can compromise the utility/functionality of the remaining portion.

Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom