Matt Johnston (Aquaman) Exhibit Premier at History of Diving Museum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Gary

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives

As you all know I was involved with Matt quest to become the worlds first scuba diver who is confined to a wheel chair and dependent on a ventilator. We achieved this goal in November 2006.

To document this history making event the Florida Keys History of Diving Museum has created an exhibit featuring his dive. Below is the information and invitation for the event.

Thanks to all who helped my friend Matt achieve his dream. If you can come celebrate the unveiling we'd love to have you. Matt can not make the event, but we will have him on video via skype to welcome and greet those attendees.

Good Diving,
Capt Gary
Conch Republic Divers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Florida Keys History of Diving Museum, Inc.

Mans Quest to Explore Under the Sea

82990 Overseas Hwy – MM 83
Islamorada, FL 33036

Phones: 305-664-9737/fax 664-9736
Email: divingmuseum@aol.com

“DIVING A DREAM EXHIBIT”

Background:
A dream became a reality for Matthew Johnston in Nov. of 2006. Matt suffers from Duchenne’s muscular dystrophy; he is now a quadriplegic, permanently on a ventilator to sustain his life. Since childhood in Minnesota, Matt’s has dreamed of diving in the Florida Keys - despite the odds. It took years of planning, preparation and the generosity of many good people for Matt to fulfill his dream to SCUBA dive in the ocean.
A recent segment of the “Today” show documented Matt’s progression towards realization of his dream dive.

What‘s Next?
Now Matt has another dream. He has donated his specialized, one-of-a-kind diving outfit to the History of Diving Museum, hoping that we would create a special exhibit to show other handicapped individuals that they can also accomplish the seemingly impossible. “It not just for me - it’s for all the other people who have a dream of doing something that others say can’t be done.”

The dream will also come true for Matt at The History of Diving Museum.

WHAT: An Unveiling Exhibit Reception of “Diving A Dream”
A Wine & Cheese Event - Showing of NBC’s “Today” segment.
WHERE: The History of Diving Museum – MM82.9 – Bayside
WHEN: Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2008 @ 7PM
RSVP: 305.664.9737 or Claire@divingmuseum.org
COST: $25. Per person / Donations will be accepted and appreciated

What is needed?
Help the Museum fulfill Matt’s dream: the estimated cost for the production of the “Diving a Dream Exhibit” will run between $15,000 - $18,000. Your donations to the exhibit and for the Exhibit Preview Reception will help us defray this cost. Your donation will help us commemorate this man’s courageous dive on a respirator.

Urgency:
Duchenne’s muscular dystrophy affects mostly males and the average life expectancy is about 30 years of age. Matthew Johnston turned 32 in January 2008.

That is great. I would have to check my schdule to see if I could make it down there.
I am guessing that Matt is no longer planning on diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom