http://www.diveheart.org/

Matt The AquaMan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you sure it has two hoses, or is that an assumption based on the two way nature of the device. We really need to know specifically.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the great ideas in helping me make my dream come true. It seems to me like you all have alot of questions about the vent that I am planning to use for my dive, (HT50-H1,HT50-T). This is the model without the humidifier. I do not need a humidifier, as I use a thermovent ( artificial nose ) that is just a small connecter near my trach that produces natural humidity, it is actually part of the vent circuit.

Yes, my vent circuit is a clear plastic coiled tube approx. 1" in diameter. It has two other very small lines that run on the outside. One is for the patient pressure, and the other is for Exhalation valve. I use a peep valve at 5, but can use it up to 7. You can see the peep on the one picture of me. (it's the orange valve on the vent circuit.) It's the first picture on my post.

If you would like to know more about the vent you can visit this link:
http://www.newportnmi.com/HT50.asp This will give you the dimensions and any other specific information you may need. I totally agree that the vent needs to be in its own casing. I will be wearing a drysuit. That decision has already been made. There can be an opening made for the vent circuit to go in to hook onto my trach. This opening can be sealed around the hose. As far as the pressurizing of my ears and sinuses, when you are on a vent you do not breath through your nose and mouth. I am able to pop my ears by yawning. I don't think this will be a problem. Maybe I may need to have a pressurized helmet ( the lightest one possible) or maybe there is something else that may work. I am not looking at going that deep, only needs to be about 5-10 feet. If it is possible I will go deeper.

Here is the photograph of what the vent looks like:
HT50spec.jpg

Again thanks for all your help.

Have a great day and Safe Diving

Matt :dazzler1:

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Hi everybody again,
This is a photo of me. I think you can kind of get an idea of the vent circut here. The drysuit that I am wearing is and XL DUI suit, and as you can tell I only need a Large with short legs. My friend just sent me that one to try out. Since the vent will not be in the drysuit, it doesn't need to be so big. The drysuit will be donated by DUI.

Safe Diving

-Matt-

28544DSCN0210-med.jpg

Hi Everybody.
I have another idea to get me in the water faster, so
I can go diving really soon, before the college gets
their project together. I am thinking to keep the
vent above water. Add a 20 ft ventilator circuit with
the PEEP right next to the ventilator, above water.
There was a kid that went swimming in a pool with a set up similar to that.
I might have to use heavy duty ventilator circuit.
Then, using my dry suit, with the attached latex hood and the
neck seal plus a full face mask (3 seals) all I would
need to do is put a hole in the dry suit for the vent
circuit to go through. Then I could just seal around
the hose there. To me that would work great, just for
me to get underwater!!!! There might be some small adjustments I would need to make on my ventilator settings but we'll figure that out later.
It's tough to want to do this so bad and dream about if for so long!
Just another deep thought from Matt Johnston...

Later everyone. Safe diving. :eyebrow:

Another newspaper story written about my quest to dive. Wanted to share this
with all of my friends. Because of all of you that my dream is coming close to
reality.

Safe Diving!

-Matt-

Scuba trip would fulfill Johnston’s dream
Wednesday, December 01, 2004

By Tom Carothers

We all have dreams. Some may dream to be a movie star, some may dream to be a pro athlete. Others may dream for a better job, while others dream of a better life.

Woodbury resident Matt Johnston dreams of going scuba diving. It seems a simple enough dream to most of us, one that may only require a plane ticket and some lessons. It may seem simple enough until you learn one fact:

Johnston has Duchenne’s

Muscular Dystrophy.

“Sometimes I feel like I’ve gotten a bad deal,” he said. “But I can’t think like that.”
Johnston also has scoliosis, which has given him an abnormally curved spine. He uses a specially designed, motorized wheelchair. He is almost completely paralyzed, unable to make any more but the slightest movement of his thumb and forefinger to control his chair.

While his body may be confined, his mind soars over, and into, the ocean.

“I’ve dreamed of scuba diving as long as I can remember, since I was about six,” he said.

It took a great personal tragedy to spur Johnston’s dream into motion. Michelle Zimmer, his nurse and friend, died last year in a car accident. In their time together, she had prodded him to pursue his dream.

When she was suddenly gone, something awoke within Johnston, who began reaching out with the help of his new nurse to make his dream a reality.

He picked a good time as technology is catching up to his dream. Johnston contacted NASA and the United States Navy. He made friends with Professor Mike Lombardi of University of Rhode Island, who is on the board of a non-profit agency called Project Innerspace, which seeks answers to human maladies beneath the waves.

“Mike has been great in helping me pursue my dream,” Johnston said, noting that the agency has assisted in getting his dream off the ground.

He has found a legion of fans, well-wishers and assistance through Diving Unlimited International, a company out of San Diego. DUI will be donating to him the dry suit for when he makes his dive.

He is in constant contact with their president, Susan Long, who has written an ode to Johnston that is displayed on his web site, www.scubadivingdream.com.

“She has been so supportive. I’ve found many friends in the diving community,” Johnston said. “It is such a wonderful and supportive group of people. Many are trying to help me accomplish my dream.”

He keeps in constant contact with divers around the world through his own web site and as a greeter of an Internet forum (scuba board) dedicated to divers with disabilities.

“I’m trying to reach out to as many people as I can to make my dream a reality,” he said.

He has even received a letter of luck from Richard Branson, president of Virgin Corporation.

“It’s going to be very expensive, I knew that all along,” he said. “A lot of what I am trying to do is to get the funding to make this happen.”

It will take an estimated $200,000 or more to make Johnston’s dream a reality. He has many contributors waiting in the wings to help fund his quest and a new web site is being set up to handle donations he hopes to receive in the future.

“We’re also looking at getting commercial sponsorship,” he said. “I think I may be close there as well.”

A great deal of the cost for Johnston’s dream will go toward research and development and a special type of vent. Ironic that a man who is forced to spend nearly every moment on a device that breathes for him awaits a ventilator, however that is just the case for Johnston.

“I want to use the HT50 from Newport Medical Instruments, the challenge is making it work underwater and keeping it dry,” he said. “If there’s a way to fit it into a backpack or to have a buddy or two of mine hold it above water.”

For all the preparation and planning, Johnston’s dream does not carry him to great depths once he makes his hoped-for dive. The HT50 is tested to 2.1 atmospheres, which equates to aproximately 33 feet underwater. For Johnston, he doesn’t have to go that far.

“It’s just to dive, to actually go under the water, even for a few minutes,” he said. “I could move my arms and legs.”

While technology has caught up to his dream, time may be running out for Johnston. Most people with Duchenne’s do not live past their early 30’s. Johnston is 27.
“I’ve already had a few scary times,” Johnston said, noting the disease has progressed noticably in the past few years. “My doctors have said I have nine lives. But none of us knows how long we have.”

In the meantime, Johnston sets up in front of his portal to the world, communicating with his diving friends and associates and anyone else who can help him with his dream.

He has gained notice as well, as more and more e-mails, cards and donations show up along with a myriad of requests for information as to his progress come from everyone from curious divers to journalists wanting to chronicle his efforts. Including schools from around the country where young students have been sending hand drawn pictures and letters of encouragement.

“People are really taking notice,” he said. “Hopefully that brings me closer to being able to make my dive. I have met a lot of wonderful people through this, now I just hope someday soon I will be able to go scuba diving.” :dazzler1:

Hi ScubaDogBones I just wanted to tell you that my paypal is up for my project. Soon Storm pay well be up too. This is where I have it posted on the board under Grand Openings and other events! Donations for My Scuba Diving Dream Project! http://www.scubaboard.com/t81514-.html

Take care and safe diving Matt. :dazzler1:

Hi NetDoc how are you doing? I hope you had a nice Christmas. Glade you liked the article. There will be an article in this magazine in February in Diver Magazine UK.

Take care and have a Happy New Year.

Safe diving from Matt. :crafty:

Hi every one. I just wanted to share with you what I have found on the internet. This is a snorkel for people that have tracks. This is the full name Larchel Watertherapy & Breathing Device. I can't use this myself. I am writing them for more info. Hopefully they well some more ideas to seal around my trach, because that is one of the biggest thing to over come but my doctors and other friends and myself do have ideas to over come that.

Here is the link to Larchel Watertherapy & Breathing Device if any one wants to see the device. http://www.tracheostomy.com/misc/larchel.htm one of the dive stores in MN wants to do a found drive for my dream project. I thought that was cool. I got this cool e-mail from Ed and Liz Ginocchio Golden Reef Inn Kaya Utrecht and I want to share this message with you all.

I know that Matt is looking for donations for his quest to dive. We would like to make a special donation
and see what we can do to get Matt do dive at least 1 time on Bonaire. We own a small Inn with a villa
large and open enough to accommodate Matt easily. We would love to have him down for a week free of
charge. We also have 4 studios that could accommodate any medical/dive personnel that he would need
to come with him free of charge of course.

We would also be willing to work with local business people on Bonaire to get everything we could at no
cost to him. The people of Bonaire are wonderful and giving. Please if there is anything we can do let us
know. What a precious gift it would be to see him get his dream. I only hope we can help him achieve it.

I would love to go there I do know the diving is aw some there but it is a long way away for me. Florida or San Diego are the main places I am leaning toward since they are the closest to me but how knows I may get to Bonair yet.

I hope you all had a great Christmas.

Take care all and have a Happy New Year.

Safe diving from Matt. :dazzler1:

Back
Top Bottom