Mauritius trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seastarr2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was in Mauritius in early October from the 3rd to the 8th. I stayed at the Oberoi. The hotel was a great location, nice rooms, and ok service. All the water sports at the hotel (water skiing, sail boats, etc.) were included. The diving was with an outside company called Atlantis, located in the north-west of the island in Trou-aux-Biches. The operation was good, we had a bit of a communication barrier since they speak French and I dont, but basically we could get by. They were very attentive topside and a little less so underwater, but I didnt need much babysitting. They were always looking to point things out, which I really appreciate. All the dives were boat dives, but within sight of the beach we launched from.

Dive 1-Aquarium
Easy reef dive with max depth of 60 ft. Hard coral was not spectacular, but good amount of fish. Saw lion fish, moray eels, sting ray, and sea snake. Dive master feeds the fish so there were schools of sargent majors following us for the whole dive.

Dive 2-Stella Maru and Water Lily
2 small wrecks sunk next to each other in 1976. Max depth was 85 ft. The are completely covered in corals and open. There were also plenty of sunken tires around the wrecks which all had moray eels living in them. There were multiple rockfish hidden around the wreck too. I saw my first clownfish in an anemone here!

Dive 3-Coral Gardens
Best dive of the trip. Another nice reef dive with max 65 ft. Saw two ocotpus out in the day on top of the coral mating. They were sitting next to each other and flashing different colors. Also saw a school of king fish, apparently they are game fish that got lost and ended up on the reef and a titan triggerfish.

Overall, the diving was good. The diving was a bit cold for me (73oF). I was wearing a 3mm full suit and got a bit cold by the end of each dive. I can not compare it to anywhere else in the Indian Ocean, but I think that it had some quality diving for a non-dive location. Some photos in my gallery from the trip.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/sh...0/ppuser/21042

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom