mauritius

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been there once. 1975. Looked good, but I didn't dive that trip. Rum was good.
Rick

Yes - in April this year. I stayed on the east coast, around Belle Mare. Dived two sites - The Aquarium and Japanese Garden. Vis varied between 5-10 metres. Sites were both beyond the reef that fringes the whole island. Sea was quite rough beyond. I was seasick one out of 4 dives. Variety of fishlife - octopus, barracuda, sharks, rays, moray eels, pipe fish, groupers etc. Air temp 30 degrees, water 28. I used the dive outfit attached to the hotel, the Beau Rivage. Seemed pretty sound - not that I knew any better.

I didn't go specifically to dive - I went to visit the island first and to dive while I was there. There's plenty to see and do away from diving.

Don't know about the rum.

Dived there in June this year. Stayed at La Pirogue on the West coast and used the dive centre there.

Diving was generally excellent. We were fortunate to be there when there was number of experienced divers so the dive centre could offer a number of the deeper dives that are not usually available to less experienced divers and deco was allowed.

Dive sites on the must list there:
Cathedral - a small cavern full of lobsters
Snake Reef - reef at 25m with literally hundreds of lion fish, scorpion fish and morays
Orient - Wreck at 45m

Lots of other great sites that I can't remember the name of!! Viz was spectacular 30m+.

Diving operations are pretty basic. No Nitrox, No mix, single cylinder deco dives. Provided you are happy to do these things there is no problem. If you are DIR then you'll have a few issues!!!!

Been there two years ago, in January. In the middle of the rainy period, bad luck indeed.
I stayed in the Coco Beach resort, on the east coast. Japanese garden and the aquarium are not bad but The Cathedral is a must.
Watch for diving equipment quality, I had problems diving with centers operated by local guys.
The rum is not bad. It s pity the island is of volcanic origin, too many black rocks around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom