MAX SD Card Size With A620

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kirgan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I read on http://www.steves-digicams.com/ review site that the A620 has been tested with SD cards up to 2GB, but it didn't actually say it wouldn't work with SD Cards larger than 2GB. I know there are some 4GB & even 8GB high speed cards out there. Does anyone know if they will work with the A620?

I am asking, because with all the storage video takes, I can see myself needing both high speed and large capacity cards. I know I will want to film some decent length video, but still have room for some pics. So, I would like to buy as large of high speed SD card as possible.

Thanks,

--Mike

You might want to send Canon USA an email on that for a definitive answer - no one seems to test out the max capacity of a given camera and storage card.

You're talking thousands of images on a 4 and 8gb card

(or a massive amount of not great quality video).

Personally id get several smaller cards instead of one big card. That way if its a trip and one card is lost/flooded/damaged/stolen you havent lost absolutely everything.

Maybe I didn't research enough. I don't see any makes of SD cards greater than 2GB. I've heard about 3 GB but never seen it. I've seen larger CF cards. Can you point me to the web site that sells them?

String:
You're talking thousands of images on a 4 and 8gb card

(or a massive amount of not great quality video).

Personally id get several smaller cards instead of one big card. That way if its a trip and one card is lost/flooded/damaged/stolen you havent lost absolutely everything.

I just recently got my camera, so I haven't tried out the video myself yet. However, I have seen comments from other A620 users that you can get only about 9-10 minutes of video on a 1GB chip using 640x480 @ 30 fps. That would mean only 20 minutes on a 2GB card and no room for pictures. It wouldn't even last a full dive if I shot video at the best quality - hence my wish to use the larger cards. And I do want to use high quality video - that is one of the reasons I got this camera, instead of one of my other top pics - the Canon G6.

I have read that the 4GB and higher cards requires the camera to support Fat32. I have also read that the A620 doesn't, but I also read that you could format the card in another device and use it in a A620. But I would like to see if someone has verified that works ok, before I go out and buy an 8GB card.

--Mike

divnamite:
Maybe I didn't research enough. I don't see any makes of SD cards greater than 2GB. I've heard about 3 GB but never seen it. I've seen larger CF cards. Can you point me to the web site that sells them?

Sure. Here is a site that reviews digital cameras. This particular link talks about high capacity cards. The part where it mentions 4GB SD cards is towards the end of the page.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/high-capacity_storage.html#sd

Here is a link to a site that sells the 4GB card from Transcend:

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/tr4gb15ulhis.html

I stumbled onto a sight that had 8GB SD cards listed for sale as well, but I can't find the link at the moment. I'll look for it and post it when I find it again.

--Mike

Tom Winters:
You might want to send Canon USA an email on that for a definitive answer - no one seems to test out the max capacity of a given camera and storage card.

Thanks - I'll do that and see what they say.

--Mike

Kirgan:
I stumbled onto a sight that had 8GB SD cards listed for sale as well, but I can't find the link at the moment. I'll look for it and post it when I find it again.

I was mistaken about the 8GB SD card. I found the site I was talking about and they only listed 4GB SD cards. The 8GB card was a CF card. So, it looks like the max SD card size right now is 4GB, however, I did find an article that says a new 8GB SD card was announced in March, but it isn't available yet. The link to that article I read is below.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/editorial/display/cebit2006-7_5.html

--Mike

Back
Top Bottom