Maximum depth for a TG-4 in a PT-056 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luis H

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I realize that the published maximum rated depth is 148 feet.

There is no published safety factor. So I am interested in any actual experiences that others might have had.

I am only planning on possibly going down to 160 feet or 170 ft.

What are the probable failure modes?

The loss of push button controls (due to pressure) doesn’t bother me too much if there is no permanent damage.

I realize the housing will flex, but will it leak?

Any potential for permanent damage would be a deal breaker and the camera will have to stay behind for that dive.

Thanks for any help.

No idea but I would think that if you exceed the depth rating perhaps nothing will happen (I have known folks taking the TG-2 deeper than the advertized 50 ft with no problem) or perhaps water will seep in. On the positive side, the camera is itself waterproof down to 50 ft, so if you do experiment water ingress and you pick it up early, you might be able to get it back to a depth that the camera will be able to withstand...if your decompression table allows it (or you could always shoot it up attached to your surface marker if the line of your reel is long enough).

On the other hand you could acquire a Seafrogs housing for the TG-4 (Meikon), which is relatively cheap (compare to Olympus, Nauticam and Ikelite...to name a few) and is rated to 60 meters/195 feet.
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/tg-3-tg-4-housing-options.527985/page-3
TG-3 & TG-4 Housing Options

I will refer you to post 26 and 29 of the tread on TG-3/4 housing for further details

Hi Luis. Hope you are well. We have met a few times at Sea Rovers.

I've had my TG-4 down to ~240ft several times without issues in the stock (PT-056) housing).

No leaks, all buttons functioned fine. I'm not sure how much further I'd risk it but for me it was nice to know that it works fine in the ~200ft range.

I even wrote a thread that I think you might have replied to: https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/olympus-tg-056-below-150ft-45m.530397

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

That is the information I was looking for.

I am definitely not planning on going as deep as you have taken yours. I hope 170 ft. is the max that we will be doing.

Thanks also for the link. I totally forgot about that thread. But, yes that Sea Hunt episode sure gives you something to think about, my biggest fear… Just kidding. I laugh every time I see that episode. :rofl3:

A few of us are heading to Truk Lagoon and I personally prefer to spend more time in shallower wrecks than limit my bottom time, but I know of at least one deep wreck that most everyone will like to go see.

If anyone else have had any similar positive, or negative experience (with any excess depth on this housing) please share.

@RTee, thanks for the input, but I really like this housing. I like the size and the functionality. And for the same reason, I don’t want to risk damaging it. The SeaFrogs housing looks interesting, but I am not looking at buying a new housing for one dive. That housing also looks bigger.

I realize that the camera will survive a small housing leak, but at this point my biggest concern would be damaging the housing. I could probably replace the camera much easier than replace the housing.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom