Maximum depth (SDI)

What's the maximum depth allowed for Advanced Adventure Diver

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aleq

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello SDIers,
I was wondering, what's the maximum recommended/allowed depth for Advanced Adventure Diver? I have an insurance saying it's valid only within certified depth limits. I know OWD is 18m, but what's the maximum depth of AAD? Is it 30? I can't find it anywhere. That might be a problem with the insurance company, right?

Thanks a lot, Best regards,
Aleš

High Aleq,

Not being familiar with tdi i looked at the website. The aad course appears to be the equivilant to AOW. The course referenced youalready having ow which your ins man says is 18m. The course appears to build on training to introduce you to deep diving and some other speacialties. It says that with AAD and those specialities you qualify after 25 dives for MASTER DIVER. My guess would be that the depth limit would now be 100' if >60 is considered deep by SDI or since it qualifys for master it would be 130 ft.

Hello SDIers,
I was wondering, what's the maximum recommended/allowed depth for Advanced Adventure Diver? I have an insurance saying it's valid only within certified depth limits. I know OWD is 18m, but what's the maximum depth of AAD? Is it 30? I can't find it anywhere. That might be a problem with the insurance company, right?

Thanks a lot, Best regards,
Aleš

I am an SDI/TDI Instructor and the standards for Advanced Adventure Diver limit the deep training dive to 30 meters/100 feet. And though I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express I do have the standards right next to my desk.:D Standards and Outlines for Specialties, Page 7 of 105, Section 4, sub section 4.5, item 2 under Open Water Execution.

Interesting on their website-

SSI Specialty Course: Deep Diving

"Depth attracts a lot of divers as deep dives provide this certain kick."

Dive in places where only a few have explored before! Get the experience of diving on a wreck below 100 feet/30 meters! To do these dives safely, you need the right skills and the right knowledge and that is exactly what DEEP DIVING provides you.

SSI Scuba Schools International

I have an insurance saying it's valid only within certified depth limits.

What insurance is that - is it DAN? Is it your health insurance? Might be important to some of us to know.

Interesting on their website-

SSI Specialty Course: Deep Diving

"Depth attracts a lot of divers as deep dives provide this certain kick."

Dive in places where only a few have explored before! Get the experience of diving on a wreck below 100 feet/30 meters! To do these dives safely, you need the right skills and the right knowledge and that is exactly what DEEP DIVING provides you.

SSI Scuba Schools International

You know SSI (Scuba Schools International) and SDI (Scuba Diving International) are two completely different agencies, right?

What insurance is that - is it DAN? Is it your health insurance? Might be important to some of us to know.

It's not DAN, it's travel insurance by local AXA subsidiary. Risky sport package covers diving down to 40 meters max. However, the insurance conditions are limited by the
diver's certification, so if I exceed 18m as OWD, they won't cover the medical expenses (if there are any). I have just started Advance Adventure Diver course, so I really just wanted to know the limit. It seems it may be 30m, but there is no clear official statement publicly available. I wonder how the insurance company will obtain this information. What if they say - the official course description does not say anything about new limit, the old OWD 18m still stands, you've exceeded the limit by being at let's say 25m, we won't cover your expenses.

SDI Deep course certs you from 60 feet to the rec limit (130 feet). Never heard of this 100 feet limit. What is that about?

Also - would they not cover you if you unintentionally got caught in a down current that carried you below your cert level? That insurance sounds a bit sketchy.

Advanced Adventure Diver Advanced Adventure Diver | SDI | TDI | ERDI
not Deep course.

Regarding the down current - well, yes, that's a risk

---------- Post added July 18th, 2014 at 09:06 PM ----------

FYI, I just got reply from TDISDI.com:

The maximum training depth allowed per SDI standards for the Open Water Scuba Diver Course is 18 meters/60 feet, and Advanced Adventure Diver Course is 30 meters/100 feet. A diver is certified to dive within the scope of their training as long as conditions are similar to those of their training. This means that the student is certified to the maximum depth that they achieved in training.

Back
Top Bottom