May 23-June 1st trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judydivescoz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just got back Monday morning from a 9 day trip to Cozumel. It was an incredible trip.
We arrived via American Airlines, very uneventful with the exception of the flight arriving over an hour late. American did not provide the immigration docs on the plane so it took a bit longer getting out of the airport tan usual.

We took the van from the airport and arrived at Casa Martillo. The good news was that we were the first off the van, the bad news was that we were left with some extra luggage. We knew it owner was going to the Park Royal and so decided to pick up our car and deliver it. Stopped by our friends and got comfortable with the margaritas so Jed, who does not drink at all went on his own to return the luggage. The scary part was that he had an accident on his way back. He did not see the man on the motorcycle. So, the police, the ambulance and the mans entire family showed up at the scene. It was just around the corner from our friends house. The man was hurt, he broke his collar bone and had damage to his motorcycle. Jed had to go to the police station, he is fluent in Spanish. Our friend joined him and after 3 hours at the station, he was given a 40 dollar fine, the mans medical bills, lost wages and his motorcycle will be taken care of. Thankfully no one was hurt any worse than they were. We rented from Rentadora Isis, Margarita also came to the police department to help out. Thank goodness we had the insurance.

The diving was great. We dive with Albatros Charters and have never been disappointed, this trip was no exception. Our dive master for most of the time was Edwin, he is attentive when you want him to be, very funny and just a great guy to dive with. Both Jed and I are fairly good with our air and were allowed to dive our computer. We dove 7 of the days and dove the sites we wanted to see. The highlight was a twilight dive last Thursday. We had wanted to dive the wreck, it had been years since we dove it last. It was a blast. There was a school of “silversides”, or at least that what I think they are called. it’s a thick school that part when you swim toward them and thru them. Very cool! I had only seen something like that in the Florida Keys. Our night dive was at Paradise. We saw 3 octopus and lots of lobster, crabs and all the usual subjects. Rita and Burak and their crew could not have been better, we were well taken care of, were never rushed (average dive time was over an hour) and had the best time.

One evening we did an Albatros Charters sunset cruise. It was on their fishing boat “Albatros” which is a beautiful boat. Rita had 18 guests and served lots of food and drink. We departed at 6pm and returned at 9pm. It gave us time to chat with some other divers that would be on the dive boat during the week and get to know some non divers visiting Cozumel. I would highly recommend this sunset cruise.

Dinner is always a highlight in Cozumel. We have to agree that Kinta is our new favorite restaurant. Chris, the owner and chef grew up in Connecticut close to were we lived most of our lives. He not only was a very personable man but runs a great restaurant . It is a must visit. We ate at Panchos (first time for me, it was just OK), Los Otates, Pie del Carbon, El Pique and were very happy with the food.

We are planning on retiring in Cozumel. We went out looking a properties with Nancy Murray from Cozumel Living. She showed us a number of great homes but we decided to purchase a lot in Corpus Christi to build our island home. Nancy was very helpful with explaining the process and negotiating the deal. She arranged for us to meet with a builder and get a good idea of cost. I will be back in Cozumel mid July to close on our property. If any of you decide to look, I can highly recommend Nancy Murray.

It was a great trip, the weather was mostly great, turned a bit grey later in the week. Our trip home was horrible, our flight that should have gotten us home by 1am was delayed in Miami so we pulled in at 5:30am.

Looking forward to the next trip in July!

There was a school of “silversides”, or at least that what I think they are called. it’s a thick school that part when you swim toward them and thru them. Very cool! I had only seen something like that in the Florida Keys.

Glassy slippers, maybe?

Hey Gordon-----I think ya meant "glassy sweepers"...........but pretty sure that Judy is correct about the silver sides in the wreck....I've been there a few times when they were so thick that we had to maintain physical contact and would have gotten lost had I not done the exact same route down inside and known it by heart. I could have just parked there in the middle of them the whole dive........amazing to watch!.........Betsy

Hey Gordon-----I think ya meant "glassy sweepers"...........but pretty sure that Judy is correct about the silver sides in the wreck....I've been there a few times when they were so thick that we had to maintain physical contact and would have gotten lost had I not done the exact same route down inside and known it by heart. I could have just parked there in the middle of them the whole dive........amazing to watch!.........Betsy

Duh, yeah. Sweepers. What was I thinking of? Cinderella? ;^)

Or lobsters.......hahhaa..........Betsy

P.S. and nice report Judy-----sorry about the accident thing but glad it turned out okay......we LOVE Margarita at ISIS!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom