Mayair from CUN to COZ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubavaquera

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm flying in to CUN tomorrow and land at 1:52. I would love to take the puddle jumper over to Coz and avoid the whole bus/taxi/ferry dance, but the schedule shows departure times of 3:00 and 5:00. I wonder, from those of you who have done it, if there is a reasonable chance of catching the 3:00 Mayair flight? I know Mayair departs from Terminal 1, but I'm not sure what terminal I will be arriving at.

I have flown into CUN before and was lucky enough to get through customs/immigration fairly quickly. Don't know what the situation will be tomorrow, of course, but I'm hoping since it is slow season maybe it won't be too bad?! But if I have to stay around and wait for the 5:00 flight over then I'm thinking maybe it would be just as fast and cheaper to take the bus and ferry (although I think the ferry leaves Playa at 5:00 too, which kinda sucks). I can't seem to make a decision on this, so please share what you would do :confused: I just want to get over to the island as quickly and hassle free as possible. Thanks for your help!
Julie

We are doing the same thing on Saturday. Just the 1:00 flight. If all goes well and there are seats available we plan on doing this. If our arrival plane is late, customs is backed up or no seats on the 1:00 puddle jumper we will just opt for the bus/ferry bag drag. No worries, relax, if it happens, cool, if not, have a drink in Playa waiting on the ferry.

So how long are you going to be on Cozumel?

Julie you would be cutting it close, unless the Mayair people let you book the 3 and if you miss dont charge for the change to 5 do it. But in reality I would take the 5 and just not rush over to wait for the plane. I take the jumper alot. They will ding you for weight charges for sure. so if you are over 50lbs. be prepared to pay. But its a sweet flight. like 18 mins in the air. Great views too. Hope this helps. O by the way bring a drink of alcohol with you if you want one while waiting. pop only there that Ive seen.

its also been very dependable. Always leaving on time and not canceling flights (only flown it five times)

If you come in with a whole bunch of other flights into Cancu, it can tale close to an hour just to go through Immigration, the you have to go through customs.
You mway make it but I preety much gaurantee luggage won't. Been there done that too many times. As one of the other posters mentioned you are on vacation .. take the 5PM flight.

Jim

I just booked the flight through AeroMexico. They use Mayair as the carrier but offer a non-restricted ticket for a few dollars more than Mayair (even though it is the same carrier). I think I paid $10.00 more each way for a no restrictions and refundable ticket.

Since this is the first time I haven't gone through Houston (no flights from Phoenix without a night layover) I'm trying Phoenix-Cancun then the hopper over to Coz. I should be able to get there in 7 hours even with a 2 hour layover in Cancun (much better than two days going through Houston). I was worried two hours might be pushing it getting through customs and security. I'm not familiar with the Cancun airport.

I opted for the non-restrictive ticket for the extra few dollars just in case I couldn't make the connection. Some say they never advance book the hopper to Coz and just walk to the gate but for the fist time thru Cancun I didn't want to take any chances.

Good luck..

Last edited:
When I did this last year, I just waited and booked the flights at the gate. Same price and gave me flexibility on the times. With the 2 hour wait for the next ferry the last time I did the bag drag in October 2 years ago, I'd still wait for the next flight and be ahead.

Best money I've spent in a long time. Really enjoyed the flight too.
Picture on the flightline courtesy of the Pilot. Cessna 206, I believe.
If you look at the GPS you can see Cozumel, flight time about 15 min.
Airspeed 115 knots??

Thanks to Antonio, from Scuba-Du for the hook-up.

Attachments

• Mexico plus 030.jpg
    Mexico plus 030.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Mexico plus 028.jpg
    Mexico plus 028.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 151
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom