Maybe hanging the fins up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Had an attack of shingles a month ago. Affected my left leg. Significant muscle weakness. Have a hard time lifting it into the car. Climb a boat ladder? Nope! I’m in PT, but I’ve got a very bad gut feeling it’s not going to improve much. All my plans for the season are on hold. Some early charters have already been cancelled.

Tried diving this weekend at the quarry. Leg doesn’t kick well at all.

Unfortunately, it looks as if I may be hanging up my fins permanently.

Have fun diving while you can!

Last edited:
Had an attack of shingles a month ago. Affected my left leg. Significant muscle weakness. Have a hard time lifting it into the car. Climb a boat ladder? Nope! I’m in PT, but I’ve got a very bad gut feeling it’s not going to improve much. All my plans for the season are on hold. Some early charters have already been cancelled.

Tried diving this weekend at the quarry. Leg doesn’t kick well at all.

Unfortunately, it looks as if I may be hanging up my fins permanently.

Have diving while you can!
That seriously sucks.

Take it step by step (see what I did there?) and look for small improvements - they add up long term. Given your determination (that you demonstrated with your progress in diving so far and in your pursuit of fitness in the pool etc) I am sure at least some recovery will be possible. Work with the PT staff and follow their directions.

I hope you do manage to recover to the extent that you can dive again (albeit with maybe a bit more support helping you schlep gear or gearing up in the water etc). Most people will be accommodating if you let them know the issues and how they affect things. Doing a boat ladder might not be possible but are there boats with lifts? I know there are tons of them here. Another option is gearing up in the water - all you have to do is get in minus equipment and get it handed to you and then recovered at the end of the dive.

I am glad that you did at least have a chance to enjoy the diving you have done to date - you worked damn hard for it. Hopefully there is more to come in future but only time will tell.

Don't give up yet. Or, at least, quit giving up right away. You can always quit later... .like everyone else.

I had a lite case of shingles on my upper arm a few months back. There was weakness and numbness in the associated muscle but now, several months later there are no residual issues. Think positive and I hope it works out well for you.

I agree, don't give up...never let your body win over your mind! Try acupuncture along with PT! Work your way up to biking...get those limbs strong once again!

Consider diving as your therapy. Many years ago I had a bone spur perforate my Achilles Tendon. It was painful and required that my Orthopedist take the tendon off, grind the bone spur off and reattach the tendon. I was told that I would be out of the water for at least half a year and he prescribed all sorts of physical terrorism. Malarky. I married myself to the pool and in a few weeks (3?) I did my first dive in the soupy run off lake at Devil's Den. Vis was horrible, but the water was cool and all weight was removed from my ankle and my body. Kicking was gentle but I felt the pressure. Two days later I was in another spring, being careful going up and down the steps to keep my ankle safe. I even did ocean dives if the seas were 1 ft or less and committed to diving twice a week, never doing a lick of the prescribed PT. During our last visit, my Dr told me this is when he's supposed to berate me for skipping PT, but he wasn't going to do that. In fact, it was the first time he done this procedure and the patient had shown absolutely no atrophy in the leg. A little over a year later I popped the other tendon. Instead of PT, the good Dr prescribed Scuba therapy instead. Imagine that. I got the same results.

Take it slow. I did. Don't give up. I didn't. Let the resistance of the water do its thing and feel the healing. Take comfort in the fact that there are many disabled people who dive. Blind, paraplegics, quadraplegics, amputees and more use Scuba as their therapy. In fact, I am heading to a nearby spring today after lunch to work on my knee. I believe in the magic of Vitamin Sea.

Why kick? Get a scooter. Where there's a will, there's a way ... if you truly want to keep diving, you will ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have enjoyed reading about your progress with diving as well as just enjoying your enthusiasm. You are allowed to dry your fins for a bit as needed but there will be no pre-planned hanging up of fins. Pre-plan to recover. I am not one of those people that believes that our minds can cure us. I do, however, completely believe that our minds will try their best to get our bodies to do what we ask of them. Show your mind a future image of your body healed. Don't give it images of anything less. It is too early to not fight fight fight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom