Maybe plastic isnt a good material for BC construction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm... every BP/W I've seen has plastic (usually nylon) straps connecting it to the diver. :)
These Siebe/Heinke doubles predate plastic - they are made from steel, brass and canvas and I still sometimes dive them:
20200702_162156[1].jpg
20200702_162220[1].jpg

Hemp Webbing | Hemptopia

If you want to pay 5 bucks a yard, you too can have pot based webbing.

You can also get cotton webbing.

all mine is plastic.

I've had perhaps half a dozen BCs or hard backpacks without floatation, since the 1970s; and both metal or plastic will all fail given enough opportunity, stress and time. I've had stainles steel fail as well as all manner of polymers -- and still carry a couple of integral nylon buckles in my save-dive kit . . .

So Ive had my back inflate BC for ~15 years. I bought it super-cheap on closeout, it dived fine, never saw the need to replace through hundreds of dives, local and travel. I especially like that it had 2 tanks straps.

So yesterday, after months of no diving due to COVID, I went shore diving.

Pretty strong waves getting in and out (although pretty flat in the dive), those waves carried alot of force. Enough force, apparently to completely snap the tank strap assembly off the BC. The tank strap didnt break -- the entire tank strap assembly snapped off completely from the plastic backplate material of the BC.

First a wave must have snapped the top strap assembly, as I felt the tank flopping sideways, then another must have broke the bottom one too, and the only thing holding the tank was the tank locator strap.

Luckily, it happened after the dive, close to exiting. It would have been "fun times" if it happened during the dive and my steel tank suddenly started sinking, while I started ascending. I guess I would have gotten a crash course in monkey diving.

So looks like I will finally buy a BP/W -- with metal, not plastic, connecting the tank to me.

Was it a Sherwood by any chance?

I guess it just depnds on the material or some other factors as well. I have 2 horsecollar BC's and a UDT swimmers vest from the early 1970's that are still fine.

At last, a good reason for living somewhere sunshine is a rare commodity!
Obviously where I live, sunshine nor extreme heat is definitely not rare.

Despite my gear being regularly left on a dive deck all weekend (temps above 45C 110F), and then being outside drying for a few days (in the shade but heat and UV still present) I've not seen any deterioration of my gear over the last 8 years apart from some fading. Hoses I change after 2 years as a precaution

By contrast a grocery bag will last 1 month outside before it disintegrates at the slightest touch

Even rental gear at the shops I work at lasts quite a long time .

I think dive gear is pretty good, where the same brand can last equally well in my environment as it can in much colder climates

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom