measurement of flash u/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunkarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
guys,
I have been reading many specifications of strobes. However, i don't understand it at all. How do u measure the flash against the thing u wanna take picture of u/w?

thanks.

Most strobes are rated with a guide number. The guide number is the distance (usually in meters) that the strobe will give effective light. This is generally measured topside. If a strobe is guide #20, this means it will have an effective reach of about 65 feet through air. Underwater is a different story. Water conditions vary, and water is not as good a conductor of light. When you buy a strobe, the higher the guide number the stronger the strobe, if the manufacturers measure in the same way. The other factor is the spread of light. If given, this is usually in degrees, so if you are shooting through a 105 degree wide angle lens, you would want a strobe or strobes that could cover a similar area.
A good example is my Olympus FL-20 strobe. It is rated at guide #20, but has a very narrow beam, vertically. I get a picture that is dark on one side and too bright in a single area. On very close macro shots, it's not much of a problem, but the farther you get from the subject, the more area is underlit. It's like shining a spotlight. So ideally, you're looking for a strobe with a high guide number and a wide spread of light.
Another factor is adjustability. If your strobe only has two settings, say half or full power, you will have to adjust for different lighting conditions by changing the distance from the subject or changing your camera settings to suit the strobe. The more steps or levels of power, the better.
Finally, there is color temperature. Different strobes operate at different color temperatures. I believe sunlight is 12,500. If you have two strobes that are mismatched, different parts of your picture will be different colors.
Matching the firing interval of the strobe to the minimum shutter speed of the camera is also important. The strobe will fire for a shorter period than the shutter is open. Some strobes might not be capable of a short enough burst for some very high speed cameras.
I hope I got all this right, and I hope it helps. If not, I'm sure one of the technical gurus like Ron will pipe in to correct me.

Sorry, I forgot your other question. The easiest way to measure your light is to take a sample picture in that light and adjust your strobe up or down depending on the results. When photographers talk about "bracketing". They are referring to taking multiple pictures of a single subject, possibly with different settings of camera or strobe, or different lighting angles, etc. This allows you to have a choice of pictures of the subject when you are finished. Some will be better than others. Some strobes have automatic settings. You can set the strobe to match your shutter speed and f stop and it will decide how much light it needs based on the sensors in the strobe. Other strobes use "ttl" or through the lens metering. The camera sends out a preflash signal, determines how much light is reflected off the subject and sends the information to the strobe, which fires accordingly. Optical slave strobes generally try to mimic the burst put out by the cameras built in flash, so you have to cover it but leave it on. If you don't cover the built in flash, it is too close to the camera lens for most conditions and will be reflected back by bubbles and impurities in the water as "backscatter".

"Finally, there is color temperature. Different strobes operate at different color temperatures. I believe sunlight is 12,500. If you have two strobes that are mismatched, different parts of your picture will be different colors."

Actually all strobes or flash heads have about the same color temp. as daylight, may I ask where you got this information about "mismatched strobes"? The strobes will vary in color temps. by a few degrees but not enough for the human eye to see the difference.
1700 K: Light of matches
1850K : a candle
2800 K: tungsten lamp (ordinary household bulb whatever its power)¨
3350K : studio "CP" light
3400 K: studio lamps, photofloods,
5000 K: Daylight°
5500 K: average daylight, electronic flash (can vary between manufacturers)
5770 K: effective sun temperature
6420 K: Xenon arc lamp
6500 K: Daylight°
9300 K: TV screen (analog)
28000 - 30000 K: a lightning bolt [1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

"A good example is my Olympus FL-20 strobe. It is rated at guide #20, but has a very narrow beam, vertically. I get a picture that is dark on one side and too bright in a single area. On very close macro shots, it's not much of a problem, but the farther you get from the subject, the more area is underlit. It's like shining a spotlight. So ideally, you're looking for a strobe with a high guide number and a wide spread of light."

The guide number or power rating of a strobe has nothing to do with lighting up the "dark" shadowed part of the image. Light travels in a straight path... more power or wider angled beam strobes cannot reach around an object to light up the other side, you will need another strobe to lighten up the darker areas.

Two or more strobes are better than one wide strobe when it comes to even lighting control.

"Optical slave strobes generally try to mimic the burst put out by the cameras built in flash, so you have to cover it but leave it on. If you don't cover the built in flash, it is too close to the camera lens for most conditions and will be reflected back by bubbles and impurities in the water as "backscatter"."

This is why the Inon strobes will not work in "mimic" mode because as you stated yourself :

"The camera sends out a preflash signal, determines how much light is reflected off the subject and sends the information to the strobe, which fires accordingly."

With the built in flash blocked to prevent the backscatter...how will the preflash, which is produced by the built in flash, reflect off the subject? To send the information to control the strobe???

f3nikon:
With the built in flash blocked to prevent the backscatter...how will the preflash, which is produced by the built in flash, reflect off the subject? To send the information to control the strobe???

f3nikon,

The preflash produced by the built in flash does not reflect off the subject. The preflash is blocked with Clear Photo System material.

The strobe light that reflects off the subject comes from the external Inon strobe and not the onboard flash. The external strobe is triggered through an Inon fiber optic cable placed in sight of the internal flash. The camera is still capable of reading the reflected light from the external flash that bounces off the intended target. The camera computes this information.

You may learn more about the system by reading the following information:

Optical D Cable:
http://www.inonamerica.com/products.php?product_id=283&pagenum=3&prodcat=4&subcat=1
S-TTL:
http://www.inonamerica.com/content/docs/STTL_D2000.pdf
Clear Photo System:
http://www.inonamerica.com/content/docs/ClearPhotoSystem2F373.pdf

Inon has also developed a system that enhances manual and auto mode control strobe firing. You may read more about it by following the link below, which discusses Advanced Cancel Circuitry:

http://www.inonamerica.com/content/docs/AdvCancelCircuit2F375.pdf

f3nikon:
..........The strobes will vary in color temps. by a few degrees but not enough for the human eye to see the difference.

For some reason, the Seacam Seaflash 350 engineers have taken to the task of offering variable color control output from 4300°-5200*°K

There must have been a reason............

Other strobe temperature samplings:

Ikelite DS 51 5500°K
Ikelite DS 125 4800°K
Inon D-2000 and Z-240 5500°K
S&S YS 110 5400° K

f3nikon:
Actually all strobes or flash heads have about the same color temp. as daylight, may I ask where you got this information about "mismatched strobes"? The strobes will vary in color temps. by a few degrees but not enough for the human eye to see the difference.

I get this information from three sources.
First, strobe mfg's. specs. Second, I know a few people who have had strobes that they used with their film cameras and transferred to their digital cameras, bought a second strobe of a different brand or model, and discarded the old one because they had two-tone pictures, especially on wide angle shots. Third, put a pic on your RAW conversion or Photoshop program and adjust the color temperature, then look at the difference. It may not be huge, but it is certainly visible.

f3nikon:
The guide number or power rating of a strobe has nothing to do with lighting up the "dark" shadowed part of the image. Light travels in a straight path... more power or wider angled beam strobes cannot reach around an object to light up the other side, you will need another strobe to lighten up the darker areas.
Two or more strobes are better than one wide strobe when it comes to even lighting control.
True that light travels in a straight path, however a narrow reflected beam of light from your strobe's array will focus a bright light on a small area, causing a blown out area in the picture. The area on the outer edges of the picture will appear dark, regardless of the lack of obstacles, simply because the lens has wider coverage than the strobe. If you doubt this, try shooting a picture using only a highly focused pencil beam back-up dive light-a really strong one. Then shoot the same picture using an 18watt can light with an adjustable beam. Trust me, there won't be any darker areas in your second shot unless you're doing a wide angle of blue water. I don't claim to be an expert on any of this. There are probably hundreds of photographers on this board with more experience than I have, but I'm not here to get in a pissing contest, I'm just trying to be helpful, based on what small amount of knowledge I have and can pass on.

Back
Top Bottom