• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Medical certificate for over 40's in Spain

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Jim Morris, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Chavodel8en

Chavodel8en Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    So looks like there's no consensus here.

Should I chance it just going w/ only the certificate (all NOs) signed by me only.

2. Caudiver

Caudiver Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    The Spanish Law about recreational diving is clear; it is compulsory a medical certificated signed by a hyperbaric doctor which expires after two years. Another story is if the diving centers really ask for them before diving (extremely rare)
    I copy an extract from the law (BOE.es - Documento BOE-A-1997-24978)

CAPÍTULO IV

Disposiciones complementarias

Artículo 25. De los reconocimientos médicos de las personas que se sometan a un ambiente hiperbárico.

1. Toda persona que se someta a un ambiente hiperbárico, deberá realizar previamente un examen médico especializado.

2. Este examen o posteriores reconocimientos deben ser realizados por médicos que posean título, especialidad, diploma o certificado, relacionado con actividades subacuáticas, emitido por un organismo oficial.

3. Los reconocimientos periódicos serán obligatorios para acceder a cualquier título o certificado que habilite para someterse a un medio hiperbárico, aparte del examen inicial (este debe figurar en un certificado médico oficial).

4. Se repetirán anualmente en el caso de los buceadores y bazos profesionales. Este reconocimiento debe figurar en su libreta de actividades subacuáticas.

5. Se repetirán cada dos años en el caso de los buceadores deportivo-recreativos. Este reconocimiento debe figurar en su libreta de actividades subacuáticas.

3. chrisch

chrisch Solo Diver

No. The cost benefit is clear. If you have a recent medical you are not going to get a "no" from wherever you go and whichever centre takes your fancy. Measure that against the cost of getting there and all the other issues and the medical becomes nothing more than an irritation.

We dive in France and the same issue comes up. Strictly speaking you need a medical but some centres don't bother. But then you cannot dive with anyone but the ones that don't bother. (France is annual medical all ages).

Chavodel8en likes this.
  4. CaptGraybeard

CaptGraybeard Garibaldi

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Certified divers need a doctors medical certificate by law on Mallorca. If you need one you can get it from a local doctor for €20 each. The certificate is valid worldwide up to two years. Doctor is first come, first served. At this writing, the doctors office hours are Sun-Thurs from 8.30am - 1.30pm.

You need a form that your dive shop can provide. I convinced my shop (Big Blue Diving) to send one to me in advance due to my schedule. I’m fitting in a dive before a week long sailing course.

Hope this helps future inquiries.