• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Medical Condition Keeping Me Out of the Water

Discussion in 'Diving Medicine' started by certainmisuse, May 25, 2019.

1. -JD-

-JD- Eclecticist ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Have you tried just sitting on the bottom of the pool with your rig off and next to you?

Concept is to see if your rig as configured is somehow adversely affecting things when on.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  2. certainmisuse

certainmisuse Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Yes, Today it occured in the bathtub with only tank and regs. At this point i would have to guess it would even occur out of the water. Sounds crazy but in the tub i must have been around only 1 ft under.

3. fmerkel

fmerkel Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    ONLY in water? If you lay on the floor and breathe off the reg does it happen? It a tub you simply don't have enough pressure to do much of anything but be wet.
    Since you snorkel OK it would not seem to be simple contact with water.
    FWIW I have somewhat more trouble transitioning to breathing off snorkel than a reg. There's more dead space (C02 recycling) in a snorkel and you have to overcome that.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  4. Duke Dive Medicine

Duke Dive Medicine Medical Moderator Staff Member

David, when you say tingling in your stomach, does that mean internally, or on the surface of the skin? How about the hands and feet? Does it feel more internal or external?

Best regards,
    DDM

5. certainmisuse

Pretty definitively external, near the surface of the skin.

6. certainmisuse

Update: I tried breathing from the tank on the surface, in my basement to be exact. I'm pretty sure I could feel the same effect coming on, but I beat it back with focused, measured breathing. This experiment lasted 35 mins. Later this week, I'm going to repeat the experiment but for longer, in part to confirm these results. I'm leaning towards irregular breathing being the cause of the immediate effect, but not ruling out other conditions or components playing an underlying role.

Again, I'm going to look for a doc in the Atlanta area.

7. Duke Dive Medicine

If it took intentional hyperventilation to reproduce your symptoms but you're not aware of it in the water and you're mindful of your breathing while diving, I would lean away from that as a cause. Also, hyperventilation can lead to hypocapnia, i.e. too little CO2 in the blood, but a poorly adjusted regulator would more likely lead to hypercapnia, i.e. too much CO2.

You mentioned a back injury in your first post, were any films done afterward?

Best regards,
    DDM

8. certainmisuse

Yes, an MRI was performed where they found moderate facet arthropathy in the L4-L5 region and slight bulging near L4. Later it was revealed my hip was misaligned and we have been working on that through physical therapy. I am curious now if a lower back problem can affect the hands in this way, as someone else mentioned.

9. Duke Dive Medicine

That's interesting. L4 and L5 might explain the feet but not so much abdomen and hands. Linking a dermatome chart below. I'd recommend that a neurologist be among the physicians you consult with.

Dermatomes and Myotomes Poster

That said, I don't think that a respiratory origin can be ruled out, so I'd keep pursuing that avenue as well. How does your regulator breathe? Does it feel as if it's delivering too much air to you? How is the cracking pressure?

Best regards,
    DDM

10. JackD342

JackD342 Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    That is one variable easily changed. Rent or borrow a different regulator or two and see if there is a difference.