Medical Marijuana availability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diverdorr68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
Could anyone say what the availability of cannabis/marijuana is on Roatan?

Not here for debate or discussion on legalities, rather medication availability for myself during my stay.

Thanks, and obviously no stupid responses are required. Serious question, serious topic!!

Thanks Barrod, maybe better even at this time to just find the availability locally because the forum mods will most likely not be happy if we put ways of circumventing any laws that might pertain to different things.
I guess this is a question that will come up legitimately more and more now that we know the safety record of the plant and many of its uses. I'm sure it is readily available if you live there, but not the sort of thing you want to ask around for in a third world country(lived in the PI for 5 years) where corruption and extortion could be possible problems.

If you have a valid prescription you can carry what your need for a week vacation, Honduras doe not condone medical marijuana so you cant buy any in Honduras legally, of course you cannot dive or rent cars on Roatan either if using marijuana even if it is legal in some places in the US

Also know that if local police see you using it you will be taken to jail and will have to pay a fine even if you had prescription

Last edited:
if you have a prescription for it, shouldn't you be allowed to take what you need with you?

i know no all countries recognize it as a medicinal supply, just thinking out loud

EDIT:hehe RTBDiver was answering my question at the same time i was asking it lol

Marijuana is still illegal at the federal level. Past the security checkpoint at airports and once in the air, you’re in federal land. That’s why even carrying on flights between two Colorado cities isn’t legal. So you can’t legally leave the US with it. I’ve only superficially listened in on friends conversations on the topic, so I’m no expert by any means, but I seem to recall people discussing taking some kind of oil with them on trips. Still not legal, but easier to take and consume apparently.

I'm not considering bringing anything with me, even with the slightest of chances of a problem in Honduras. Just hoping to find out if it is pervasive enough there on Roatan for availability after arrival and thank everyone very much for taking this topic seriously.

---------- Post added May 13th, 2014 at 10:54 AM ----------

If you have a valid prescription you can carry what your need for a week vacation, Honduras doe not condone medical marijuana so you cant buy any in Honduras legally, of course you cannot dive or rent cars on Roatan either if using marijuana even if it is legal in some places in the US

Also know that if local police see you using it you will be taken to jail and will have to pay a fine even if you had prescription

Thanks for the info RTB!!

Yea, I didn't think about the legalities of federal laws vs state laws and such so bringing it would definately be out, to reiterate about the fines, a gringo caught with illegal drugs is open season for huge fines and believe me, no one wants to be in the jail, one cell for all, bucket for the business, sometimes , and no food or water unless a friend brings it to you

Just go to Utila, weed is absolutely everywhere. I was at a dive shop earlier this year, one that will remain nameless for the purposes of this discussion and there was an inverted Frisbee of weed sitting right there on a table in a common area. In Tranquilla Bar, you can openly roll one up and spark it

There's no police to speak of either.

I find this an interesting discussion.
1. In North Carolina there is no state legalized Medical Marijuana so I'm curios about OP's prescriptive medical use or if they are using Medical Marijuana in the guise of asking "can i buy pot in honduras".
2. In California if you have a Prop 215 Medical Marijuana (MMJ)prescription you can travel by road in the state legally but not by air with your medication as the air is regulated federally. In the Bay Area where I live TSA has stated in news papers like the SFGate that they are not responsible for checking passengers for MMJ as their job is to keep the air free of bombs, guns etc so if you are flying in state with MMJ that the patient should discretely carry their medicine and tape a copy of their prescriptions to their medication. They will not prosecute locally and it is up to the destination to enforce the laws.
Medical marijuana patients can travel with pot from SFO, other Bay Area airports - Inside Bay Area
3. You cannot leave the state of California with your MMJ even if flying to states like Colorado and Washington so flying to say Honduras is out of the question.
4. Since MMJ is not legal in Honduras or North Carolina bringing it in through customs is a pirates smugglers game.
5. Yes you can buy marijuana in Roatan if you want to smoke some seedy DDT schwag which has little to do with medicine.
6. I have used and seen other Divers in both Cozumel and West End using Vape Pens.
7. A seal-o-meal device and air bladder of your BCD makes for excellent storage space while traveling with a great deal of hope you don't hit a red button in customs. I mean who smuggles drugs into Honduras.
8. Don't be a Dope! Be discrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom