Medical release, how long are they good for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the terms and conditions:
Health — this insurance contains certain exclusions and conditions about the state of health of all Insured covered by this insurance. If you are in any doubt as to whether you or any other persons are eligible for full cover, please contact;The Administrator, VING Insurance Brokers Ltd, Continental Operations Office – Medical Referrals Helpline, on +39085-8930333 during normal office hours) or by fax on +39085-8930050 or alternatively email tomedicalreferrals@daneurope.org

Material Facts — you MUST tell us all Material Facts. A Material Fact is one which is likely to influence the cover provided. If, after buying the policy or booking a Journey or dive (whichever is the later), a Material Fact becomes known or changes you must tell us and we reserve the right to impose special terms. If you are in doubt as to whether a fact is ‘material’, you should tell us by completing a medical self-declaration form. If you do not, this may result in your claim not being paid. Examples of Material Facts include pre-existing medical conditions or previous dive related accidents or anything which increases the likelihood of a claim being made under this policy.Please contact The Administrator, VING Insurance Brokers Ltd, Continental Operations Office – Medical Referrals Helpline, on +39085-8930333 (during normal office hours) or by fax on +39085- 8930050 or alternatively e-mail to medicalreferrals@daneurope.org

In my verbose way I'm saying that your doctor should know all about your medical history, current condition, and if diving is OK. And should know about all these meds you see on TV ads (U.S. mostly) and whether a certain pill would be appropriate for you. You shouldn't have to ask him/her about it. The Dr. knowing whether it is OK for you to dive or not is more important than what you fill out on a questionnaire, which I believe is mostly for the dive op's liability.
Of course if you live in an area with Dr. shortages and you have no regular Dr. you've known for a long while, what I say at least somewhat goes out the window.

So, let's say you've talked to your doctor, had him/her sign a medical clearance once a year but forget to bring it when you show up at the dock to dive. You have two choices. Ether don't dive even though you know you are okay, or you answer "NO" to all the questions on the waiver form.

Theoretically, if I had to answer yes on a medical waiver form for diving and provided a letter from my doctor how long would the letter be good? Months, years, forever?

MAC...

I believe this is a question you should be asking no one but your personal physician...based solely on your personal medical circumstances...if you have a chronic or degenerative condition...it may need to be evaluated much more frequently than ''annually''...

Remembering...this is only diving...absolutley nothing down there worth jeopardizing your health over...

W...

MAC...

I believe this is a question you should be asking no one but your personal physician...based solely on your personal medical circumstances...if you have a chronic or degenerative condition...it may need to be evaluated much more frequently than ''annually''...

Remembering...this is only diving...absolutley nothing down there worth jeopardizing your health over...

W...

I see my doctor twice a year, more often if I get sick or hurt. I was just curious how long a medical form was good for should I need one. The second part (opening a can of worms) was whether to answer "No" on the waiver form if I was to need a doctor's release but failed to bring it with me when i showed up diving. Just trying to think in advance what I would do if I needed a doc's release.

The second part (opening a can of worms) was whether to answer "No" on the waiver form if I was to need a doctor's release but failed to bring it with me when i showed up diving. Just trying to think in advance what I would do if I needed a doc's release.
I think it is a great question, and I believe many people have found themselves in a similar situation.

I think that the next time I have my annual medical exam, I will have the doctor fill out the form, even though I have no upcoming need for it. I will then copy the form to PDF, upload it to a cloud service, and thus have it available for download anywhere the need should arise.

I think it is a great question, and I believe many people have found themselves in a similar situation.

I think that the next time I have my annual medical exam, I will have the doctor fill out the form, even though I have no upcoming need for it. I will then copy the form to PDF, upload it to a cloud service, and thus have it available for download anywhere the need should arise.

That's a good idea. Problem solved

It's an online form. Here is how it looks in my case - keep in mind I am based in Europe so it might be different from the US web site.

That page is for DAN members (I believe) and is nice to fill in, I imagine for DAN to be able to refer to if necessary. I don’t think I’ve filled it in yet and I’ve been a member for several years. Not necessary or required by a dive op though.

Precisely what I do, plus a pdf copy on my phone.

That page is for DAN members (I believe) and is nice to fill in, I imagine for DAN to be able to refer to if necessary. I don’t think I’ve filled it in yet and I’ve been a member for several years. Not necessary or required by a dive op though.

It is for members only and it is not necessary or required by dive ops.

However according to the terms of the insurance (see post #31 above), any member that has or will develop a medical condition that MIGHT affect diving should inform DAN about it. DAN then usually would ask the member to seek specialized medical advice. In my case they didn't accept the signed clearance from my allergist as he is not specialized to diving medicine (hence according to DAN he is unaware of special conditions related to diving).

Yes you might be paying DAN for years, but if you do have any medical conditions and you haven't told DAN, your insurance might not be valid.
Just saying...

@stepfen - There is something in the General Provisions of the actual policy. The language is similar. But even after I signed in as a member I didn't find a form to complete. I'd like to have a form to keep things updated. It would be nice if DAN had all my vital info if I needed emergency care - so they wouldn't have to get my phone or my husband to provide it. Maybe someone else can point me in the right direction to find that online form?

@mac66 - good point. What do you do if you forget your form and you DO take some meds and DO have diagnosed conditions but DON'T have the signed waiver with you?

I'll be getting mine signed before my next dive trip - several copies AND save it as a PDF!!

Back
Top Bottom