Medical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTC'83:

I see 2 possible scenarios here, given that you're based in the U.S. and will presumably be diving U.S./Caribbean mainly?

1.) That you thought certified divers going on recreational dive boats (day boat or live-aboard) were required to present a medical clearance to dive, signed by a physician (or perhaps advanced practice registered nurse). For recreational dives, not taking classes or performing as a dive professional.

-----You can see the answer is usually 'no.'

BUT, those dive operators will likely have you sign a liability release, and at least some of these will ask about a range of personal medical history questions (you can look a form up online), and if you check Yes to ANYTHING (e.g.: you have high blood pressure, but you it's well-controlled on medication and YOU don't think it's a problem), it's likely they'll demand a medical release for you to dive, as a matter of shop policy and avoid liability risk. Which leads us to...

2.) You have a medical condition of some sort (even if you think it's minor), and you check 'yes' instead of 'no' (or you will). THEN, you're probably going to have to get that medical clearance letter, and IIRC from other threads, it's good for a year?

That assumes your care giver (probably not a diver) is willing to provide it (bringing liability on himself), or has the knowledge to make that clearance mean anything besides rubber-stamping you as 'okay' on your say so, and/or is willing to read the form in-depth to see what PADI (or whoever) wants (some clinics are really busy, so your mileage may vary).

Richard.

Got and email from the dive shop letting me know that in 60 days it was going to be expired and needed a new one.

Need it for what? This is very strange.

I have dived with a total of 9 charter ops over the years. May have forgot something, but I can't recall signing anything medical with any of them (one in Canada, one in Panama, the rest in southern US). Of course I signed straight liability releases with all of them.

OP, Australian diving rules are quite different from those in the US. We do not need medicals in general except for classes. A particular shop or diver operator or boat might want one, but that is not an agency requirement. Liability waivers, yes, quite common, but medicals, no. The most common requirement, probably as part of a diver operator's waiver, is for you to certify that you have no known medical problems that would prevent you from diving with them. If they want to know your medical history, tell them they have no right to know, that the info is private. Give the page two of the medical form, the signature page, not the front side with all the invasive questions that they do no need to know. They are NOT making a medical judgement from all those Yes No questions; all they are doing is seeing if you need a doctor's clearance. So just give them the doctor's clearance....the signature on page two. If they object or say "it's a PADI rule" or some other BS, go find another shop.

I have not run into this situation where a student does not provide the first page, but if I did I would call PADI for guidance. Page 1 of that form is more than the medical questionnaire and determination if a physician’s clearance is needed. It is also a “statement in which you are informed of some potential risks involved in scuba diving and of the conduct required of you during the scuba training program.” It also states the the person signing the form agrees to accept responsibility for omissions regarding failure to disclose any existing or past health conditions. Page 2 supplements the signed agreements on Page 1...it does not replace it.

I did once have a person answer YES to everything for the purpose of not identifying any specific answer, but Page 1 was completed and signed along with the doctor’s clearance on Page 2.

I suspect you would choose to find another instructor or shop, because I would object to you not signing Page 1.

I have not run into this situation where a student does not provide the first page, but if I did I would call PADI for guidance. Page 1 of that form is more than the medical questionnaire and determination if a physician’s clearance is needed. It is also a “statement in which you are informed of some potential risks involved in scuba diving and of the conduct required of you during the scuba training program.” It also states the the person signing the form agrees to accept responsibility for omissions regarding failure to disclose any existing or past health conditions. Page 2 supplements the signed agreements on Page 1...it does not replace it.

I did once have a person answer YES to everything for the purpose of not identifying any specific answer, but Page 1 was completed and signed along with the doctor’s clearance on Page 2.

I suspect you would choose to find another instructor or shop, because I would object to you not signing Page 1.
Talk to PADI.

I did once have a person answer YES to everything for the purpose of not identifying any specific answer, but Page 1 was completed and signed along with the doctor’s clearance on Page 2
And be sure and tell PADI you accepted a form that you knew was incorrectly filled out with false answers.

I believe that PADI was consulted on this. As a new instructor, seeing all YES answers kind of set off fireworks and I questioned the Course Director. I believe the rational was that the form states to provide a YES to indicate “not sure” or “don’t know”. The student made the decision to provide the answers in that manner. I do not know the medical history, or if conditions were past or current. The student’s physician made the determination that there were no conditions incompatible with diving.

I think you have a very valid concern concerning medical history disclosure and I don’t minimize it. If PADI Risk Management advises me to require the signed Page 1...that is the position I will take. I would gladly provide names and numbers of other shops and independent instructors from various agencies that may take a different position. It is a situation where my risk management needs and the student’s disclosure requirements simply don’t match.

Again...I have never found myself in that position. So the answer from PADI may very well be that Page 1 on the Medical Statement is not required, only Page 2.

There is no problem (as far as PADI is concerned) with leaving the medical history blank. At least, that is what they told me when I asked.

The first paragraph of page one says, "Your signature on this statement is required for you to participate in the scuba training program." So, your signature is needed, not your medical info. And it is needed for training, not for non-training activities.

At the bottom of page one, where you sign, it says, "I agree to accept responsibility for omissions regarding my failure to disclose any existing or past health condition, or any changes thereto." So, if you omit all the Yes and No information, you are signing that you take the responsibility for that.

I suspect there may be concern about the second paragraph of page one, where it says, "You must complete this Medical Statement, which includes the medical questionnaire section, to enroll in the scuba training program." Well, it is completed (if left blank but signed), but with omissions. If omissions are not allowable, then why do you sign that you are taking responsibility for any that exist?

I just get one signed each year at my annual physical. Then I have it if I need it, for example the occasional liveaboard or last-minute class.. I keep a copy on my phone and on Dropbox.
Ditto. costs nothing to get one signed when I get my annual physical

Ditto. costs nothing to get one signed when I get my annual physical

I’m confused.

Both of you must have a YES answer to one of the RSTC questions, right?

Otherwise exactly why are you getting this form signed off?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom