Medtronic Pacemakers and Scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting document. But these are max ATA for recompression chambers. No need to go higher in these. Nobody has ever contacted Medtronic in order to find out?

so what does it mean that "these are max ATA for recompression chambers" ?
what I understood from the document that this is the max depth for divers, right ?
I have Medtronic pacemaker and I dive to 10 meters only with no problem.
But I want to try explorer rebreather and I want to go to 18 meters

Well, yes and no. The matter is not very easy. You may have a pacemaker for different reasons. Some of them are not immediately life threatening. Most people will not die if a pacemaker stops working. Therefor a cardiologist that is aware of scubadiving is the only one to be able to give a safe advise. In the case of my friend, if I remember correctly, it was 30m and nitrox.

I asked Medtronic about it and here is a short version of their answer:

There are many factors associated with scuba diving and specific depth limitations cannot be provided. Some of the factors include:

· Possibility of blows to the area of the device during the time the device is under pressure stress

· The number of pressure cycles the device is exposed to over the implant time of the device

· The activity or exertion level of the individual during the dive

Medtronic heart device pressure testing is conducted for compatibility with hyperbaric chamber therapy (including Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy or HBOT). Medtronic implanted heart devices are cycle tested to 4 Atmospheric Pressure Absolute (ATA) during product development. This is equivalent to approximately 100 feet (30 meters) diving depth. No device damage has been observed during testing.

Per Medtronic labeling, exposure to pressure exceeding 2.5 ATA (approximately 15 meters or 50 feet of seawater) may affect device function or cause device damage.

Last edited:
It is a combination of both really. I spoke to my cardiologist, a cardiologist with a lengthy background in dive medicine, and a hyperbaric doctor. My heart block is 100 percent. So I am totally dependent on the pacemaker.

---------- Post added September 18th, 2014 at 02:54 PM ----------

I am going back and forth. But from a safety standpoint, I'd rather not take the risk. Still really disappointed though

---------- Post added September 18th, 2014 at 02:55 PM ----------

I am going back and forth. But from a safety standpoint, I'd rather not take the risk. Still really disappointed thoug

---------- Post added September 18th, 2014 at 03:00 PM ----------

I have always had luck with Medtronics. I've had 3. I'm not due for a generator change for another 8 years. I would rather stick with Medtronic

---------- Post added September 18th, 2014 at 03:20 PM ----------

yea man I'm really disappointed. I've always wanted to breathe underwater!

I have Medtronic and I am 100% block and I made 6 dives at 9 meters each dive for 30 minutes

Well, yes and no. The matter is not very easy. You may have a pacemaker for different reasons. Some of them are not immediately life threatening. Most people will not die if a pacemaker stops working. Therefor a cardiologist that is aware of scubadiving is the only one to be able to give a safe advise. In the case of my friend, if I remember correctly, it was 30m and nitrox.

I asked Medtronic about it and here is a short version of their answer:

There are many factors associated with scuba diving and specific depth limitations cannot be provided. Some of the factors include:

· Possibility of blows to the area of the device during the time the device is under pressure stress

· The number of pressure cycles the device is exposed to over the implant time of the device

· The activity or exertion level of the individual during the dive

Medtronic heart device pressure testing is conducted for compatibility with hyperbaric chamber therapy (including Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy or HBOT). Medtronic implanted heart devices are cycle tested to 4 Atmospheric Pressure Absolute (ATA) during product development. This is equivalent to approximately 100 feet (30 meters) diving depth. No device damage has been observed during testing.

Per Medtronic labeling, exposure to pressure exceeding 2.5 ATA (approximately 15 meters or 50 feet of seawater) may affect device function or cause device damage.

I have 100% block. If the pacemaker stops, probably death will be the result.

I am afraid, you are right Khaled :(. Luckilly, not everyone is in your sad case. Take care and good -shallow- dives. After all this depth is quite often the best part of most dives :)

I'd like to reinforce something that Freewillow said. The first question should not be the depth limitation of the pacemaker but rather the exercise and fluid volume tolerance of the individual's heart. IF a cardiologist who is familiar with diving physiology clears someone to dive, the limits of the implanted device then need to be considered. I strongly recommend adhering to both the advice of your cardiologist and the manufacturer's recommendations.

Best regards,
DDM

I have a Medtronic pacemaker (no defib) for electrical blockage, heart is strong and I swim and exercise regularly. I am aware that Medtronic's legal position is that the device is safe to 21/2 ATA but that all of their units are pressure tested to 100' during production and there has never been a failure. I would like to hear from divers who have experience with a Medtronic pacemaker especially if any problems occurred. I took my pacemaker diving last Friday to 100' in a cavern, 9 minutes deco, I feel great and hope the pacemaker does also. I realize there is a minor risk of not being able to recompress for AGE but I love the water and it is diving that keeps me alive and healthy at 72. Would love to hear anyone's direct experience with their pacemaker and diving. Thank you in advance.

I have a friend, as earlier said, that went to 45 meters IN A WRECK. He is crazy and had no problem with his pacemaker and defribilator. Now to say that this is not dangerous is another thing. TALK to a dive experienced cardiologist :).

Dkktsunami, I realize that you are seeking information, but this would not be the appropriate forum to tell stories about how far individuals have pushed the depth limits of their pacemakers. The pressure limits are there for a reason. Unless you are fully prepared to face the consequences (and have your would-be rescuers do the same), I strongly recommend you stay within those limits.

Best regards,
DDM

Dkktsunami, I realize that you are seeking information, but this would not be the appropriate forum to tell stories about how far individuals have pushed the depth limits of their pacemakers. The pressure limits are there for a reason. Unless you are fully prepared to face the consequences (and have your would-be rescuers do the same), I strongly recommend you stay within those limits.

Best regards,
DDM
Sorry, did not mean to "tell stories". I was told in writing by Medtronic that all of their units were pressure tested to 100' without failure although they publicly suggest 50' as the limit. I could have worded my post a little better and am not a show off or a risk taker. Also I am not trying to push limits .....I just want to know what experiences others have had within the limits....Again, sorry about the wording....I reread my post and it does sound a little idiotic. Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom