Melbourne Florida Shipwreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt. Story Time

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Good Day to All! I’ve been a long time follower of this site but posting now for the first time and hoping to tap into some knowledge from the past. A very long story short, I’ve been working for the past 5 years with a group that has located a shipwreck off Melbourne, Florida. It is in State waters and we have a valid 1A-31 permit amended to allow dig and identify. Initially this wreck appeared to be very old as there were heavy wood timbers with iron fasteners. There was also modern wreckage distributed in the wreck site.

We spent 4 days on site this past August and were able to determine with certainty that the newer materials were indeed connected to the heavy wood timbers. In other words, it appears that someone had refitted an old hull (likely a sailing vessel) with more modern equipment. This equipment includes two 4 cylinder gasoline engines connected to marine gears with brass propeller shafts. The wreck appears to be complete but is badly broken up and tangled in at least 3 trawl nets.

We believe this vessel sank suddenly and unexpectedly and was not salvaged as we found a lot of equipment that would have been valuable prior to sinking. Most notable was at least two complete sets of vintage SCUBA gear and tanks as well as tools and other equipment. We also located an identification credential issued in August, 1965, to a person named “R. Hall”. Everything else we saw was consistent with a vessel that sank in the middle to late 1960s.

I have talked to a number of people and agencies and at this point exhausted all the resources I have in identifying this wreck. I believe there is a story to be finished and I’m hoping that the information I’ve shared here will bring back some memories. Please feel free to call me directly at 321 480 8883 if you would prefer not to post here. Hopefully someone can help shed any light on this story. Thank You!

0 help from me, but sounds like a cool experience.
It was a really cool experience, we learned so much. The wreck almost certainly has little to no monetary value but there has to be a story that needs a conclusion. I'm still hoping someone who remembers something comes forward.
Melbourne Wreck II.png

.... We also located an identification credential issued in August, 1965, to a person named “R. Hall”.....

Any chance that name could have been "Hatt" instead of "Hall" ???
The Hatt's family have been spearo's and hunters for many generations from the waters off Vero, Canaveral, etc.

It is 55 fsw just inside the 3 mile limit. I've talked with Mike and the Crew at Hatts and they have not been able to come up with anything. I've also talked with Halls Diving in the Keys. The ID badge was issued by NASA for a contractor employee named R. Hall. The name is very clear. The badge also indicates he worked for General Caulking who is still in business. Neither NASA nor General Caulking have been able to help and NASA wants the badge back. I've also talked to quite a few local old timers and Mike Barnett who have not been able to help either.
The wreck is at least 50 - 60 foot long. We only were able to uncover about half of it. It is covered by a 2-3 foot layer of heavy clay like silt then lots of shell hash. It is difficult to impossible to work out there without a blower boat capable of pushing clearer surface water to the bottom to carry the muck away. That is obviously expensive or otherwise we would be out there digging for more items that could help us.

The mystery continues! Any help is welcome! Eric

I could probably build an 8" lift for under $1k that would fit on a boat.

It's been a few years since I needed one. :)

I'd bet I could clear the entire wreck in a day.

It is 55 fsw just inside the 3 mile limit. I've talked with Mike and the Crew at Hatts and they have not been able to come up with anything. I've also talked with Halls Diving in the Keys. The ID badge was issued by NASA for a contractor employee named R. Hall. The name is very clear. The badge also indicates he worked for General Caulking who is still in business. Neither NASA nor General Caulking have been able to help and NASA wants the badge back. I've also talked to quite a few local old timers and Mike Barnett who have not been able to help either.
The wreck is at least 50 - 60 foot long. We only were able to uncover about half of it. It is covered by a 2-3 foot layer of heavy clay like silt then lots of shell hash. It is difficult to impossible to work out there without a blower boat capable of pushing clearer surface water to the bottom to carry the muck away. That is obviously expensive or otherwise we would be out there digging for more items that could help us.

The mystery continues! Any help is welcome! Eric

Actually, I'm certain we could build a jet for under 1k and would fit on virtually any boat. Super super easy. And would clear that wreck fast

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom