Memorial: Three Divers Pass Away on the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow; hurts to hear about the loss of these divers. My heart and sympathies go out to all involved as these are divers and special to all of us.

Looks like Murphy appeared at the wrong time as it seems air was a limiting factor in any of these divers surviving.

God bless em all and their families, freinds, and peers.

Chris

deeper thoughts:
I heard over the marine radio that 2 divers are missing this morning, from what I heard they are still looking. Prayers to them and there family.
I have no further info at this time.

Yes, now we have page after page of speculation and comments. Prayers to the family members and thanks to those who brought the lost divers home.

R.I.P. I' m really sorry to hear of such a incodent.
Being advanced divers, we can say they were doing something they enjoyed when they left us.
Maybe its not my place to say, not knowing them.
-scubasleep

I dove with ScubaDo last month. They are OK.

Prayers and condolences to the family.

Alex

tridacna:
Everyone:

I knew these guys personally. Scott was a good friend. He was my instructor for Search and Rescue. John and I did our Assistant Instructor's courses together. I dove with Kevin many times.

Scott was the best diver I ever met. We used to joke that he breathed slower than most fish. He was a fantastic person and I spoke to him last week in NJ before he left for Florida.

What was interesting was that the fourth diver never penetrated the wreck. He was my open water instructor and I know him quite well. I think that I know why he never went in. I will be speaking to him this week to confirm my suspicions.

Let me state this quite clearly:

These guys were serious divers. To answer a previously posed question, I never saw them dive without doubles. They seldom took unnecessary risks. They were all experienced tech divers. Scott had close to 5000 dives (if not more) with many trips to the Doria. (And the Spiegel Grove).

I will add more info as I learn.

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend. I lost a friend to brain cancer this week, and watching grown men cry over the loss of a friend is enough to tear your heart right out.

Damn I just heard about it this morning, All from NJ....jesus I gotta make some phones...praying all my friends are okay. And prayers to the families of those lost. :(

:( :( no answers......praying.......

Tavi:
Overhead?? Yes. Just like caves? No!!

Wrecks can be much more hazardous than caves. Caves don't have sharp steel, Hanging cables and wires.

I meant it in the sense that there can be no direct ascent to the surface. :14:

Rick,

I was trying to figure out what "may" have happened but not being familiar with penetration diving it's just amateur speculation.

I was wondering which scenario you think may have occurred?

Condolences to all.

Sy

Rick Murchison:
Very very bad news. Of all the scenarios I can conjure, they all lead in the same direction and it ain't pretty.
Rick :(

Although I didn't hear the particulars, I did read the story, and I bow my head!
Hoping for that endlesss universe....
God be with those who have lost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom