Memory card suggestions for 5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gt2003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
With the 5050, how many pics do you get with what quality setting with what size card? I've got a 1 megapix. HP camera that came with my pc and I get 207 pics from a 64 mb card. Doing the math (207 for 1 mega pix divided by 5megapix cam) I'm thinking I could get about 40 pics or so from this card. Does that sound correct? Also, if you have a preference on what type of card to use or what size let me know that too. Thanks, Greg

gt2003:
With the 5050, how many pics do you get with what quality setting with what size card? I've got a 1 megapix. HP camera that came with my pc and I get 207 pics from a 64 mb card. Doing the math (207 for 1 mega pix divided by 5megapix cam) I'm thinking I could get about 40 pics or so from this card. Does that sound correct? Also, if you have a preference on what type of card to use or what size let me know that too. Thanks, Greg

Based on this page, I've been considering the Transcend 30x 512MB CF card:

http://www.molon.de/imaging/5050writetime/

gt2003:
I don't remember them offhand - but there is a complete list of how many pics per different quality settings in the manual. If you don't have the manual you can download an adobe version from Olympus America.

With the c5050 and a 64 MB card, you will be able to take 8 images in RAW format, 16 in SHQ jpeg, 50 in HQ jpeg. You should seriously think about buying at least a 256 MB compact flash card.

About how many pics do you expect to take during one dive & one day? How often do you really want to open the housing? I would think about a 512 mb or 1 gb card. Camera batteries should last 2-3 dives depending on capabity. Try not to open the housing more than necessary. Keep in mind that shooting digital is a lot different than shooting film in terms of the number of pics that you should be allowed per dive. Do not limit yourself to only 36 pics/dive like film.

Would the general concensus be to shoot in SHQ or is HQ adequate? Yes, I'm already planning on getting a larger card but wanted to get some feedback first. Let me know what mode you all shoot in generally. Thanks, Greg

I generally shoot in SHQ...ya never know when that cover shot will happen!

So, if I did the math right, in SHQ mode with a 256 mb card I'll get about 64 pics and 128 pics with the 512. Looks like the 512 would be the best choice. Thanks for the input. Greg

I was shooting in SHQ. I now shoot in RAW most of the time.

I really didn't think I ever would, but now that I do I really see the benefits despite the longer write time. I am taking more time composing and setting up for my shot, so although I still shoot a lot of images/dive I don't go through nearly as many as I used to because I don't have to fuss with changing settings as much...the more you learn, you know!

I would get at least a 512 card 40x speed (I think) - check the speed!! My cards are s-l-o-w which can be frustrating at times. I currently have two 512 cards plus the little XD card that came with the camera. Since getting the 512 cards and shooting RAW, I have not had to switch to the XD card for those last few shots. I used to do that a lot in SHQ...just learning the camera and practicing with different settings etc. 1 GB would be great, but not essential for my type of diving/shooting right now.

I'm using a 52X 1GB compact flash. I get about 843 pictures in HQ and half that in SHQ.

Back
Top Bottom