Memory Cards and Hero3 Black

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I see the black requires a class 10 memory card. I see the rating for that class is 10mbps. I also see that some class 10 are rated at 20mbps, 35mbps, and even faster. Will a regular 10mbps suffice? For a newb to under water videography, where should I start?

-Hostage

If you are to shoot using the higher resolutions (4k, 2.7k, 1440p@48fps, 1080p@60fps) or with the still picture feature on, go for the highest write speeds you can find (and afford!). The manual recommends at least a Class 10, which I understand is the standard name for a 10mb/s write speed.

On a Hero2, a class 10 with 10mb/s write speed works smoothly for 1080p@30fps video - but the H3 black is way more demanding. I have never had a "write error" on my Hero2, but would hate if it happened, specially underwater. It's not easy go back and shoot again :)

Note the Hero3 will also support a 64 gig card, the Hero 2 only would do a 32 gig.

they're cheap. Buy big. At Costco a Sandisk class 10 32 is only like $25 bucks.

45 MEG PER SECOND. That's a buttttt load of memory getting sucked up.

I pulled this memory card banter off DPreview..........don't hold me to the fact, heck I read it on the interweb thank you Al Gore.

This from talking with the GoPro Tech Rep:
Hero3 Black Edition Specs:
Recording bitrate is at a maximum 45Mb/sec using the Protune option. Easy to upscale to 4:2:2 chroma and 10-bit color depth in post using the amazing Cineform intermediate codec, too.
Regarding the angular perspectives.
ULTRA-WIDE: 170 degrees
NORMAL: 127 degrees
NARROW: 90 degrees
If you record at 2.7K or 4K rez video, you can only use the ultra-wide angle, i.e. 170 degree perspective. But you can de-fisheye that quite good using the Cineform program.

Any c10 should be enough as c10 means minimum 10MB/s which is 80Mbps, the GoPro's in the past have been picky with some brands of SD cards and as the Sandisk cards are getting so much more affordable I cant see why you would go with the others.

I am using a Sandisk c10 mobile ultra 64 UHS I card, I also have been using a PNY c10 16GB card that came with my hero3. No issues with both and I have rarely recorded more then 32GB on the card on a full battery run when using the batt bacpac so 32GB may be enough most of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom