Mental Illness and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Estrela,

A diver with an anxiety-spectrum disorder likely will be able to SCUBA safely if: (a) thorough mental status examination demonstrates the condition is well-controlled; (b) s/he has been on medication for an extended period and side effects worrisome for SCUBA are neither reported, observed nor anticipated upon careful examination; (c) there are no other medical/behavioral contraindications in the clinical picture; (d) the diver feels s/he is up to the recreation and fully comprehends any remaining risks; (e) psychiatric clearance to dive has been obtained; and (f) s/he is forthright about the condition with dive ops and dive buddies.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

I want to second what JIMLAP said. As a vet, 2 years back from Iraq and a volunteer at (and founder of) the Disabled Veterans SCUBA Project (DVSP) SCUBA can be a tool used to help someone with PTSD. The VA where the classes were conducted documented in previous SCUBA classes for patients with PTSD and Traumatic Brain Injuries several improvements in many of the patients/students in the SCUBA classes including reduction in depression medicines.

In addition to the DVSP there are many organizations providing SCUBA to our returning veterans as type of therapy including Dive Heart, S.U.D.S., Cody Unser's First Steps and others. IF PTSD is the primary cause of the OPs issues then SCUBA may be just what the doctor ordered providing a peaceful place to relax and reduce the tensions and anxiety. The VA reported reduction in depression medications among other desired outcomes from the SCUBA classes.

Bottom line, the presence of the panic disorder and other medical (including mental) conditions should be reported to the instructor. Full disclosure is always the order of the day. The instructor, with the recommendations of the medical community (talking it over with the OP's doctors to ensure the instructor fully understands nature of the medical /physiological conditions, how successful it is being managed and its implications for SCUBA) will evaluate the totality of the information along with their interview with the prospective student and then make a decision on if, in their professional opinion the they should take a SCUBA class.

SNUBA IMHO offers a very small reduction in risk over SCUBA. A panic attach at 20 feet could still produce injury or death in either the diver or the dive buddy, particularly if they forget to exhale on the ascent (a very strong possibility).

The OP did not reference the DAN article. Saspotato did. She was also quick to point out that she knows her triggers and how to deal with them. Our own DocVikingo reiterated what I and several others said. If she knows her limits, has her condition under control, and is honest with an instructor who is willing to accept her as a student there is no problem. When you become an instructor, experience what those of us who have dealt with this have, and know what you are talking about I may pay attention to what you say. Until then it sounds like you've picked uo just enough to have an opinion based on generalities. Not fully informed but that I guess is beside the point. And BTW DAN is not a scuba diving organization. They are a medical resource and research organization that deals with scuba injuries.

I'd say separate your Hawaii vacation from your dive training. Go over to Hawaii, do a lot of snorkeling, maybe a discovery dive or one of those fish bowl on your head dives and relax, enjoy the islands.

When you get back home, follow up and do your dive training in the local area you will be diving in, if you get the go ahead from the medical folks. If you find out it isn't for you while your at home, it's no big deal. If it's a focal point of your vacation, it becomes a big deal.

If her doc gives her the ok I know at least one instructor who will work with her and tailor a class for her. All within standards of course. Because nothing says I cannot take more than the 8 weeks my class now requires.

"SNUBA IMHO offers a very small reduction in risk over SCUBA. A panic attach at 20 feet could still produce injury or death in either the diver or the dive buddy, particularly if they forget to exhale on the ascent (a very strong possibility)."
Pasley missed my point so some of you may have as well. I do not disagree that she could injure or possibly (but I doubt it as long as she doesn't hold her breath) kill herself on SNUBA. The difference is that she will not kill her husband on SNUBA as she will if he has an emergency at depth and he has to depend on her as his buddy. On SNUBA, she is not co-opting anyone else in her risks, and the risks themselves are far less severe.

First of all, good luck with learning to dive. I am just starting to work with a girl who has a mental illness that is quite challenging. Without knowing your illness I would recommend you first talk to your doctor and find out what his or her experience with diving is and get his or her opinion. Then call Divers Allert Network and get their feedback. They were very helpful with my student! Provided you are cleared to dive, try a Discover Scuba to see if it is something you really want and can safely handle with your condition. It is better to spend a few dollars and try it then a lot of money to decide you cannot handle it.

Definitly tell your instructor and be completely up front. Just telling the instructor will make it easier on him. Another thing is you do have a moral obligation to let her know because if you have an attack, you are putting their lives at risk. You also have a very obvious personal stake in it; if he doesn't know about it, how can she correctly handle the problem? YOu need to look at as you are a team with your husband and the instructor together. I also recommend private lessons.

Good luck and happy diving.

Milo1339

So, here's a status report:

Both hubby and I need to have medical clearances. He had a collapsed lung within an hour of being born, was life-flighted, all that good stuff. Never had a problem since. The Army required a medical waiver for him to enlist, so it's something that has been acknowledged but there has been no record of complications. (If that makes sense.) IF his PA comes back before hubby hops on his flight he'll get his clearance. I don't think he knows when the PA is supposed to come back -- he is in Iraq, afterall.

Meanwhile, I can't have a sit-down chat with my PA until around xmas time. She would probably just sign me off anyways, but I don't feel comfortable with that.

I have made contact with a shop in Oahu that confirmed that yes, we still need clearance before a discovery dive. So if we get our paperwork together, we'll do a discovery dive. If not, looks like we'll be snorkeling. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom