"Mermaid tail" vs. separate fins -- pros & cons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WeRtheOcean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Sorry I don't know the proper term for the "mermaid tail," hopefully people know what I meant. I have been watching freediving videos on YouTube, and I see sometimes, in the same video, one diver wearing the "mermaid tail" type single-fin, and another wearing two separate fins. Since both types are in use, I take it that it is not a question of one being superior to the other, but more a matter of each being more suited to different situations. So, what are the factors involved in choosing which type to use.

Sorry I don't know the proper term for the "mermaid tail," hopefully people know what I meant. I have been watching freediving videos on YouTube, and I see sometimes, in the same video, one diver wearing the "mermaid tail" type single-fin, and another wearing two separate fins. Since both types are in use, I take it that it is not a question of one being superior to the other, but more a matter of each being more suited to different situations. So, what are the factors involved in choosing which type to use.

WRO...

Check out Monofin on Wikipedia...

W...

So, what are the factors involved in choosing which type to use.

Monofin. The ability, and the need, to dolphin-kick is the main factor. Dolphin kick is the fastest way to swim underwater, but it also burns most oxygen, so it's best for power/speed over short distances/times. But people who are really good at it can keep going longer than us regular folks, they could use it just because they can.

Can't do a frog kick or back kick or in a monofin

For a good dolphin kicker a good monofin is MUCH faster and more efficient than a good pair of regular fins - but speed is not usually the goal in scuba. And even a great dolphin kicker can't keep up with a barracuda at high speed.

Scuba considerations don't apply to freedivers though. Case in point: they don't normally frog- or back-kick.

I use monofins almost exclusively, and for both scuba and freediving. However, many monofins don't work well with scuba equipment. You need to either have a monofin designed to work with scuba equipment (like a DOL-Fin), or have a scuba kit designed to work with the normal monofin (like the scuba equipment used in underwater orienteering competitions). In general, monofins are most popular among freedivers that want to maximize their diving performance (deeper, further and more time underwater on a single breath). Bi-fins can't compete with the efficiency of a properly used monofin.

So, what are the factors involved in choosing which type to use.
I can separate it not to monofin and finS, but also for short fins and long (aka spearfishing) fins.
Monofin - has low manoeuvring ability, not used for diving. But has maximal performance. Used mostly for freedivers, to dive to the depth and back, or to dive for long distances above sea floor. Or in the sports for speed swimming.

Long fins - used by freedivers, spearfishers or divers, who dive in widely opened waters or on the currents. Allow good manoeuvring ability, and very good speed, with low power spent.

Short fins (not all short fins is the best for diving, some is like a rugs) - very usefull for diving near the walls, in the canyons, or in the caves. Also very useful for underwater photographers. Allow excellent manoeuvring ability, but not the best speed.
For most types of the dives is best solution.

My video looks way cooler, and I bet I was having a lot more fun when I was making it as well. :D

Back
Top Bottom