Mermaids or Aquanauts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you stated that to me as your dive leader then the first dive would add an extra 10 mins on limits provided the staff member on the boat was happy with that. I would also however be exceptionally annoying constantly asking your NDL's and air after 25 mins so that I could get an impression off your comp limits and your consumption. Second dive would be a lot more relaxed.

That sounds fair......Just when reading in my log book....I found the accident of this "experienced" diver who dove with me and he had a rubber thing in his ear, so the water can not come in his previous sick ear. At 15 meter he had terrible pain in that ear.

So maybe it is really necessary to expect always the worst of the customer....

Actually, H90, Mermaid's is owned by a Danish man of Korean extraction. The American owner died 3 years ago.

REALLY???:shocked2:

Last things I got told was that the Danish (I met him once but forgot the name) bought Paradise. And after a longer time Mermaid and Paradise got sold to an American who also owns some hotels. But just a DM somewhere told me so it might be wrong.

When I dove last time with them, I still had that voucher for a 900 Baht day trip and they told that they off course they still honor it even it is a other company now.

But really the webpage tells "Thai/English/Danish". So it seems my informations are outdated.

As far as I know there are multiple investors/owners of mermaids. Of the ones I have met, one is an Australian and the other is of Korean features but sounded American in accent, I didn't ask him where he was from.

As far as I know there are multiple investors/owners of mermaids. Of the ones I have met, one is an Australian and the other is of Korean features but sounded American in accent, I didn't ask him where he was from.

Yes that Korean looking guy is Danish. I met him one time. Very nice guy.

On the khram an extra 5 minutes looking into the gloom is a bit tedious. I had to stay with a customer (PADI instructor qualified) who went into deco as he had put his computer in the most conservative setting on a previous dive and forgotten. I did a safety stop at 12 metres for 3 minutes as I believed it was necessary even though the computer was stating differently that the stop was required at 6 metre and 3metres we then followed the computers direction. In the scheme of things it took us 20 minutes to get up the line and back on the boat and we both still had 40-50 bar. 20 minutes staring into the gloom except for the occasional jellyfish drifting by.

It seems irelevant to me really to be drawing comparisons with a diver that had his computer set incorrectly, (and could have ascended if it had been necessary) under normal circumstances 20 min is a lot of deco on a recreational dive.
I am BSAC trained and their tables allow diving on air to 50m, generally I will dive with single 15 litre cylinders and have never clocked up that sort of deco. In one instance we went rapidly to 48m and the dive consisted of a slow ascent up a wall, our computers at one point went into deco, but during the 40 or so minutes that we were slowly making our ascent, the deco had disapeared well before we were at a depth where the stops would have been necessary. So with correctly planned and executed dives deco time can be avoided ar at least kept to a minimum. A few minutes deco time is often well worth the additional bottom time you can achieve.
One other thing you may be able to answer for me? many years ago before changing to BSAC I completed a PADI open water and advanced plus course, at the end we were told that we could dive to the limits of the tables, which I seem to remember was 42m? As you state now a PADI advanced diver should not exceed 30m depth? Have standards been revised?

When I did my instructor course in 1998, the PADI Advanced Open Water course Deep Dive was to 40m maximum. Cannot recall what year it was changed to 30m. Thing is - at 40m, people DO get narcosis and if you have a class of pretty new divers doing their AOW course, I can see that it might be potentially dangerous. I saw the instructor going rather nutty one time when I was a DM in about 1996.. had a class of about 6 students as I recall and she was dancing around at 40m... I think 30m for your average diver is plenty deep enough.

It seems irelevant to me really to be drawing comparisons with a diver that had his computer set incorrectly, (and could have ascended if it had been necessary) under normal circumstances 20 min is a lot of deco on a recreational dive.
I am BSAC trained and their tables allow diving on air to 50m, generally I will dive with single 15 litre cylinders and have never clocked up that sort of deco. In one instance we went rapidly to 48m and the dive consisted of a slow ascent up a wall, our computers at one point went into deco, but during the 40 or so minutes that we were slowly making our ascent, the deco had disapeared well before we were at a depth where the stops would have been necessary. So with correctly planned and executed dives deco time can be avoided ar at least kept to a minimum. A few minutes deco time is often well worth the additional bottom time you can achieve.
One other thing you may be able to answer for me? many years ago before changing to BSAC I completed a PADI open water and advanced plus course, at the end we were told that we could dive to the limits of the tables, which I seem to remember was 42m? As you state now a PADI advanced diver should not exceed 30m depth? Have standards been revised?

PADI: open water: 18 meter
Advanced: 30 meter
Deep Dive Speciality: 40 meter
It is common knowledge at Padi educated, that going deeper than 40 is super dangerous and can not be done under no circumstances......

I've had a similar experience being led by inexperienced leaders and it's really a drag.

Nothing worse than when your leader forgets to change tanks and freaks out underwater. Then swims back hard to the boat not keeping tabs on the people he was leading. Then doesn't even think to switch tanks and take the divers back out even after I suggested it he felt it wasn't an option.

The previous dive the leader couldn't handle an under-weighted diver, surfaced with that diver during our decent without letting the others know. We waited for 1 minute then surfaced. In his diving brief he pointed out the 1 minute rule. You would think that he would follow it! So we ascended and he wasn't there. We waited for more than 5 minutes for him to surface perhaps closer to 10. When he surfaced he was a good 80 meters from the boat. Needless to say, he aborted the remainder of the dive and told us to lead ourselves if we wanted to get a dive in.

These were both dives under 12M.

To the Ops credit, I was given a free day of diving. The others didn't ask and weren't offered the free diving.

How do you like that? Can anyone top that one?

LK no need to respond as we have already heard yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom