Messed up and ascended like a missile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After about 40 dives I had an uncontrolled ascent. It was this past July in Roatan. I had an air bubble in my bcd that I couldn't get out and didn't know how to deal with. Like @DandyDon said, my biggest fear was getting hit by a boat, because I didn't have an smb. And....it was very embarrassing.

Turns out it was a blessing in disguise. I found SB. Got good advice, and started reading like crazy. All of a sudden my unconscious incompetence was illuminated. I reread all of my OW manual. I'm going to our lds to practice basic skills. I'm headed to Bali in a few weeks and will get my AOW with Geko. I love diving and want to get really good at it.

As others have mentioned, one of the most important lessons I learned was that I am responsible for my own safety. The DM didn't even know I surfaced until the safety stop, about 10 minutes later. What a huge lesson that some DMs are really underwater tour guides. I requested a different DM for our remaining dives and a lower number of divers in the group....both my newly certified kids were with us. Hubby and I had serious conversations with the kids about what a dive buddy is really all about and had agreements on subsequent dives about how close to be together, what to do if we lost our buddy, etc.

Keep learning, keep asking questions, and keep diving...safely! Best wishes to you.
@KristenK
I had to go back and re-read the first mention of an "air bubble" in the BCD, since that still seems to be a hot topic. Any chance you were exclusively using the inflator's manual button to release air, but not getting your shoulder and hose high enough to release the volume? If so, you might just need to understand and practice the other available dump valves on the BCD. (rental, or owned?)
Most but not all will have a right shoulder pull valve, operated by pulling a "dongle" on a short cord.
And almost all will dump the left shoulder if you just firmly pull the inflator assembly at the end of the corrugated hose. This pulls a cable inside that hose, opening the shoulder valve. Don't worry about pulling apart the soft rubber hose.
That allows you to release air even if your inflator is not held high and straight. Inflate a BCD for practice and try it out.

Hi there- An air bubble in a BCD isn't something I've heard of before... I've had super floaty feet and think maybe there were air bubbles in my booties, but I've not experienced that in my BCD.

How do you know when you have an air bubble? And how does it turn out that you solve the problem? I usually default to my dump valve just because it's more convenient-- would that have made a difference?

Bubble wasn't the right word. I had air in my BCD and didn't know how to get it out. It was such a good lesson because I now know how to get vertical to release air and how to use my dump valves. I also bought my own BCD and reg, so I can be very familiar with my own equipment...so no excuses.

The incident was a good wake up call for me. It's how I found these boards. I've been reading all I can. I reviewed my OW manual. I got in the pool and practiced all the basic skills I could.

Went to Bali last month and got my AOW. Lots more practice and learning. Experienced new situations too. Thermocline and currents, most notably. Oh, and manta rays....incredible!!' I love this sport and want to get very good at it.

@KristenK
I had to go back and re-read the first mention of an "air bubble" in the BCD, since that still seems to be a hot topic. Any chance you were exclusively using the inflator's manual button to release air, but not getting your shoulder and hose high enough to release the volume? If so, you might just need to understand and practice the other available dump valves on the BCD. (rental, or owned?)
Most but not all will have a right shoulder pull valve, operated by pulling a "dongle" on a short cord.
And almost all will dump the left shoulder if you just firmly pull the inflator assembly at the end of the corrugated hose. This pulls a cable inside that hose, opening the shoulder valve. Don't worry about pulling apart the soft rubber hose.
That allows you to release air even if your inflator is not held high and straight. Inflate a BCD for practice and try it out.

Thank you, Jack!

Sure thing. So I nailed it on the explanation of what went wrong?

I simply had air in my BCD and wasn't experienced enough to know how to get it out. (See my reply a couple messages up.)

And yes, you were correct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom