Messed up and ascended like a missile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no idea what happened. it had a little bit of water at first, and then after 10 minutes more and more, I tried to clear it but somehow I couldnt, DM said its because i was ascending without realizing and water kept coming back in prob.

My biggest fear underwater is losing my mask and having to put it back again, first time i did it in training i panicked and wanted to surface but the DM was very calm and managed to calm me down and I could do it, but still, when it gets too full, to the point it covers my eyes and nose, it's really tough for me to do. I can clear it fine with a little bit of water.
I can even manage breathing normally with a completely full mask, but, can't see anything clearly of course. This is why I didn't realize I was ascending. and it all happened so fast, when I surfaced I couldnt believe I was at the surface!

Clearly, this is something you need to practice until it is no longer an issue. I'd suggest taking your mask off and replacing it at least once on every dive until you're so not scared by it that it's boring.

look, on the first dive, I didn't run out of air, maybe I didnt describe it correctly, I was fully aware of my air, at 100 I told the DM, she said dont worry, I told her again at 90, 80 etc, but she knew how much she had also, it was her choice to stay longer, and at surface combined we still had 100-110 left. it was really no problem and fully controlled.

I will do 100 mask clearings, and 100 mask off's, mask on's at shallow water till it's no longer an issue.
I will also be very careful about extra air in my bcd. biggest problem was the buoancy in this case I think.

look, on the first dive, I didn't run out of air, maybe I didnt describe it correctly, I was fully aware of my air, at 100 I told the DM, she said dont worry, I told her again at 90, 80 etc, but she knew how much she had also, it was her choice to stay longer, and at surface combined we still had 100-110 left. it was really no problem and fully controlled.

But are you talking PSI (which is what you wrote) or bar? 30 bar is a bit over 400 PSI. That's less than most people would recommend having in your tank when you surface, but it's not an "oh ****!" number. Both of you having less than 100 PSI at the surface (which is what you wrote) is a huge problem. Being forced to share air during the assent is a problem, too. Sharing air on an ascent should mean that something has gone drastically wrong.
And I'm going to point out that you are responsible for your safety, not the guide. Regardless of what she said, staying down until you had to share air on the ascent is a big mistake.

We're guessing that you and your DM had 30 & 70 BAR respectively on that dive, which would be closer to 435 & 1015 psi.
no idea what happened. it had a little bit of water at first, and then after 10 minutes more and more, I tried to clear it but somehow I couldnt, DM said its because i was ascending without realizing and water kept coming back in prob.

My biggest fear underwater is losing my mask and having to put it back again, first time i did it in training i panicked and wanted to surface but the DM was very calm and managed to calm me down and I could do it, but still, when it gets too full, to the point it covers my eyes and nose, it's really tough for me to do. I can clear it fine with a little bit of water.
I can even manage breathing normally with a completely full mask, but, can't see anything clearly of course. This is why I didn't realize I was ascending. and it all happened so fast, when I surfaced I couldnt believe I was at the surface!
You can probably see underwater without a mask, even tho it may be uncomfortable at first. That would be a good skill to acquire.

And your mask may not fit well. Mine does, but I use silicone grease on my mustache to prevent it from causing leaks.

Reactions: Jay
psi not bar :)
funny thing is, ive been free diving for 30 years, i can go underwater for a minute or so without a mask and with eyes open, but after the minute, i need my mask and need to clear the nose, in scuba its the same, all is well for that minute..

At 30 psi your regulator won’t deliver any gas. I would worry a LOT more about your willingness to run out of gas under water rather than your lack of buoyancy control without vision. Drowning sucks as a way to die. Don’t let anyone put you into a position where that becomes a serious possibility. They can assure you all day long about how you can rely on then, but guess who gets to keep breathing if there really is a problem?

At 30 psi your regulator won’t deliver any gas. I would worry a LOT more about your willingness to run out of gas under water rather than your lack of buoyancy control without vision. Drowning sucks as a way to die. Don’t let anyone put you into a position where that becomes a serious possibility. They can assure you all day long about how you can rely on then, but guess who gets to keep breathing if there really is a problem?

well the regulator delivered gas, DM said it would deliver up to 10 psi but she wanted me to share hers so that I'd still have air left to inflate bcd and some spare air. we shared her's while we did the safety stop at 5m, it was all close yes, but very much under control.

well the regulator delivered gas, DM said it would deliver up to 10 psi but she wanted me to share hers so that I'd still have air left to inflate bcd and some spare air. we shared her's while we did the safety stop at 5m, it was all close yes, but very much under control.
You must be confused about bar vs psi. How were you measuring your pressure?

I have never seen an spg that would allow you to get a 10 psi reading accuracy. 100 psi is difficult.

on all my dives I start with a reading of 210-220, that's psi I'm pretty sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom