Metal detecting land verses underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazyduck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I have been contemplating a metal detector and would like to have some input from divers and swampers about their thoughts.
Currently, to purchase a land/water unit the price difference over just a land unit is considerable.
So with the divers that use metal detectors what is your experience and enjoyment level in the water verses land?

Suggestions for models, new/used and any experiences.

Suggestions on a shops that might cater to divers or have experienced staff?

Anyone can look at my profile for dive experience but it just says average diver with a quirky obsession with dive gear- somewhat normal.
Clear water, Andrew

I never had the patience to do the land stuff, but always enjoyed the u/w detecting. I had a Garrett Sea Hunter and regret selling it but I just didn't get to use it enough.

Randy

I never had the patience to do the land stuff, but always enjoyed the u/w detecting. I had a Garrett Sea Hunter and regret selling it but I just didn't get to use it enough.

Randy

Care to share some stories? What did you find? Were you looking on crowded public beaches? I imagine the majority of finds would be in the surf, no?

I do both .. mostly land but my detector goes underwater too.
cans cans cans and more cans and barb wire and a bunch of nails!!!!
That's what I find the most of onshore or under water
On dry land, Even in what I would call a wilderness desert I find nails!! way the hell out in the Bisti bad lands of New Mexico miles into it......
"Freekin' nails...." it's crazy. nobody ever could live there and there are nails.
but sometimes you find something sorta cool like a crow bar or a hub cap or a lisence plate, bit of coin.
other things too underwater like ... Bombs and such... the DIR would put a hit out on me if I told you.
As For the lakes.... I have to say forget it Andrew. IMHO .. waste of time.. too much background noise.
Detectors are pretty fun though. You can get into the game for about $250 easy with a pretty good unit.
Presonally I have a Treasure Hunter- Aqua Vision Pro . works on land and sea.
Better units abound and they can find more cans and barb wire and nails then mine I'm sure. :wink:

I would suggest going and visiting Calvin at Athens Scuba Park. He sells metal detectors for above and below water. He does a lot of metal detecting himself and I consider him an expert at it.

So I have been contemplating a metal detector and would like to have some input from divers and swampers about their thoughts.
Currently, to purchase a land/water unit the price difference over just a land unit is considerable.
So with the divers that use metal detectors what is your experience and enjoyment level in the water verses land?

Suggestions for models, new/used and any experiences.

Suggestions on a shops that might cater to divers or have experienced staff?

Anyone can look at my profile for dive experience but it just says average diver with a quirky obsession with dive gear- somewhat normal.
Clear water, Andrew

Thank you everyone for your comments and ideas.

Frank, thank you for the heads up on nails. I was getting wrapped up in the idea of finding gold rings and that does not seems like much of reality based on the nails and pull tabs that I am hearing about. Something that needs to be taken into consideration.

Have fun everyone diving and enjoy the cooler weather.
Andrew

I have an on-land metal detector I occasionally use at the beach. As mentioned above its an excellent way to find junk.

The only really cool thing I have found was an old railroad spike from the road that used to connect Corpus Christi and Portland. There is still a ton of spikes to be found if someone wants to graduate from nails. :wink:

There are different kinds of detectors, some are much better at dealing with saltwater. Unfortunately since it is conductive it plays havoc with the average detector.

It should also be mentioned most of the newer detectors can be setup pretty well to tell you what kind of metal its detecting. There is a different signature for iron than gold. They can also tell you roughly how deep an item is buried and how large it may be.

Its a cool hobby at any rate. I have bought some stuff through Kelly Co and they seem to be the de facto place to order from.

I just bought an above water metal detector from Calvin at Athens Scuba Park. He helped show me how to read and use it. When I took it out hunting myself, I found lots of coins and a large silver coin. I was able to discriminate between coins and bottle caps and pull tabs and foil. It also filtered out alot of junk. I am hooked!

I've got a Sea Hunter Mark II. Like so many folks, I don't get out and enjoy it enough. I have used it to find a wedding ring for a guy awhile back. It was in 10' of zero vis water. I also tried to find a ladies engagement ring, but came up empty. The local metal detectors club found it a couple of days later. You might do a Google search for metal detecting clubs in your area.

I've got a Sea Hunter Mark II. Like so many folks, I don't get out and enjoy it enough. I have used it to find a wedding ring for a guy awhile back. It was in 10' of zero vis water. I also tried to find a ladies engagement ring, but came up empty. The local metal detectors club found it a couple of days later. You might do a Google search for metal detecting clubs in your area.

I also have a Sea Hunter Mark II, and am happy with it. Have only used it in freshwater. I've been diving with it to get used to the feel. When I first started using it, my sac rate went up. Now it feels comfortable and my sac rate has gone back to normal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom