Metal detection question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This may be a question for more of the land based people but Ill ask it here first.

Some areas on the coast have a historical significance and will not allow metal detecting. So my question is how far out into the water (ocean) would one have to go before it would become legal to detect?

The laws vary from state to state so you will need to check the local laws. In Florida there are now laws that ban underwater metal detecting. However, there are laws against recovering anything older than 50 years old without a permit. Of course you are also prohibited from using a metal detector in underwater sanctuaries and in arias where salvage leases are in place, unless you have permission from the lease holder.
If you need more info feel free to contact me at tom@treasureworks.com

Tom

Off National park beaches it one quarter mile off shore. The national parks dont own the water one quarter mile out but they do own the sea floor.

Does this apply also? - IDK. IIRC this would be 12 miles from the U.S. coast.
Territorial Waters

The part of the ocean adjacent to the coast of a state that is considered to be part of the territory of that state and subject to its sovereignty.

In International Law the term territorial waters refers to that part of the ocean immediately adjacent to the shores of a state and subject to its territorial jurisdiction. The state possesses both the jurisdictional right to regulate, police, and adjudicate the territorial waters and the proprietary right to control and exploit natural resources in those waters and exclude others from them. Territorial waters differ from the high seas, which are common to all nations and are governed by the principle of freedom of the seas. The high seas are not subject to appropriation by persons or states but are available to everyone for navigation, exploitation of resources, and other lawful uses. The legal status of territorial waters also extends to the seabed and subsoil under them and to the airspace above them.

First - For most of the US the States own out to 3 miles or to a dividing line between states such as between CT and NY in Long Island Sound or between Michigan and Wisconsin in Lake Michigan. Dividing lines are used for Inland or confined waters. The exception to this is in the Gulf of Mexico where State waters go out to 9 miles (3 leagues) due to hold over from Spanish and French times.

There are also some “ownerships” or “rights” that are in effect from Royal land grants that predate the US revolution. On Long Island and some of the NY Islands in Long Island Sound and Gardner’s Bay the land owners own some of the bottom, you will sometimes see deeds that state that the bottom is owned out till the water depth reaches the belly of a “well founded horse” and other similarly hard to define terms.

So, there are State waters, now you need to go to each State to see what the individual State laws are.

The laws vary from state to state so you will need to check the local laws. In Florida there are now laws that ban underwater metal detecting. However, there are laws against recovering anything older than 50 years old without a permit. Of course you are also prohibited from using a metal detector in underwater sanctuaries and in arias where salvage leases are in place, unless you have permission from the lease holder.
If you need more info feel free to contact me at tom@treasureworks.com

Tom
Detecting off shore in Florida is legal as long as it is atleast 3000 yards from a permited wreck site and not in a state or national marine park.Wreckdiver1715 got into a discussion before about this and said it is illegal on the entire coast of Florida but was proved wrong by several people and changed his tune.If there is any question you should check with Marine Patrol for the area you are interested in.They are the ones responsible for enforcement and would know the laws better then anyone.

It own one metal detector for gold and when I went to the beach I always took it there and it can give me some surprises. and I also can take it to the park to or find the metal goods, such as coins and so on. It has also helped find the ring that I lost in the garden,this is really great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom