Metal Detectors - Find Junk or Treasure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own a Fisher Pulse 8x. It has a discriminator, but I never completely figured it out because it will still pick up junk. I did find a very nice brass prop, and an old hand gun from the 1950's with it. On that dive I was glad it picked up steel. In the early 90's I was on a S&R team and we had a similar unit. We found several guns with that unit also, mostly while searching for evidence. I mostly dive for fossils now, so I almost never use it anymore. I do recommend it because it is very durable.

Ive used only a fisher 1280x. i mostly dive the back waters and rivers. I dont pretty dive.The 1280 has more then paid for itself. in black water i grab everything that fits in my hand. i wear no jewelry and when detector hits i push my hand in the muck and run the detector over my hand .If it alerts the mud and all goes in my BC pocket. I do the no no as i skip breath when I'm detecting. I never detect when I'm exhaling or inhaling air as for an ol fart like me i cant hear because of the bubbles and noise of regulator. I pull a plastic milk carton with a 15 inch inner tube around it tethered to me. that way when i find that nice 200 buck ebay bottle i can surface and put it in my basket.

Ive found everything from pieces of 8 to rolex watch. I love black water underwater detecting. I run my detector so everything hits and volume as high as it can go ,i don't turn up discrimination at at all that way when you hear that faint little beep that you can hardly hear, then you know its deep and most likely something heavy like a coin or gold ring, musket balls or civil war bullet's. Ive bet Ive found over 100 watches in the past 12 years and made a bundle selling the good stuff on ebay. metal detecting takes many hours of practice and the one beep you don't dig could be the best find yet. I bet ive also picked up every beer and soda lid within 1200 miles of me over the years..lol
Finder

I found a company in Florida that claims to have several that can not only discriminate between metal, gold, silver iron, lead and so forth, but also between minerals. Jewels. I do not have one and have not used one to date. I am considering getting one. Treasure is where you find it. Tourist gold is one of the most productive hunts going. Jewelry, watch's, coin's, wallets etc. You can do this just walking on a beach. Write me back and I will mail you the name and e-mail addrerss of this company. I am also looking into wreck sites on the coast. Good Luck! M60....Geronimo!

Look into the Mine-Lab Excalibur. Discrimination capabilities of this unit make it worth the money. Gold and aluminum do give similar tones, so you will have to dig pulltabs if you want to find gold. You can adjust the amount of Disc. so as to rule out items like foil and pulltabs, but you will also be ruling out small gold items. This machine will require practice on the beach so you can learn what the tone is telling you. Practice is the key, I am still learning mine, and have yet to take it underwater yet, but I am hoping to make some good finds with it this spring. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom