Metal moutpieces on Aqua Lung double hosers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
Just finished watching an old Cousteau Calypso video on The Search for Atlantis. I noticed Cousteau and his men had silver metal mouthpieces on their double hose regs.

Does anyone know anyhting about these and why they were using them? I have never seen these before on any double hose regs. They look kinda similar to the Poseidon metal Cyklon's.

???????

The metal mouthpieces were required by the French Navy. There were actually 3 or 4 styles. My favorite is the one that has threaded ends allowing you to remove the hoses from the mouthpiece quickly and with no tools needed. This was particularly convenient when the Cousteau Divers were diving constant volume suits or full facemasks. They are all but non existent in the states. You can occasionally find them out of Europe. But for all but the luckiest individuals you have to know someone and have something good to trade. They could be found on early Spiro and some Medi regs. If you look around on some of the vintage sites you can find a photo or two. Happy hunting.
-Ryan

Hmmm....bet it wouldn't be hard to make on a lathe or with threaded PVC fittings and such.

I have one of those old mouthpieces. It was in an old box of parts that I got from an old friend in California that saw it a a flea market or something like that. Most of the box was rusty crap but I distinctly remember that metal mouthpiece.
Is it valuable ? or just for the mantle ?

The dollar value is not necessarily high, but you could likely get a good trade for it. They are rare but there are not that many people who are looking for them. If you can post a photo or send me PM I can give you a better idea. It would depend a lot on the style. -Ryan

Thank you but I think I better hold on to it until I sort out all the stuff in this box. There seems to be some parts/springs/orings/seals/seats from some old regulators. My buddy says the guy he got it from worked for a long time with some dive clubs in San Diego area? I might have to trade off some of these parts to get a double hose or two going again. Thank you for the advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom