metric made easy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
this originated from a thread that got hijacked today regard passports or something, but for those that are metrically impaired, here is the simplicity and geometric beauty of the metric system:

one liter of water weighs one kilogram

one liter of water if squeezed onto a square centimeter will make a water column 1 meter high.

the pressure at the bottom of the 1 meter water column with be 0.1 of an atmosphere.

to heat the water 1 degree celsius, you will need 100 calories.

a cubic meter of water will weigh one metric ton.

and one liter of beer will cost ten euros.

see, easy huh? beautifully illustrated....

cancun mark:
one liter of water if squeezed onto a square centimeter will make a water column 1 meter high.
see, easy huh? beautifully illustrated....

Except this part. One liter contains 1000 MLs, or cubic centimeters of water. So it would make a column 10 meters high. Wouldn't it?

You have to factor in the square at the bottom.

Hank49:
Except this part. One liter contains 1000 MLs, or cubic centimeters of water. So it would make a column 10 meters high. Wouldn't it?

nope, that would have to be a millimeter square on the bottom.

cancun mark:

But a milliliter (1000th of a liter) is a cubic centimeter.

cancun mark:
...and one liter of beer will cost ten euros.

Sheesh Mark, its Euro- singular...

tsk tsk... :eyebrow:

cancun mark:
Why do I think Hank's right, even if it seems wrong when I try to visualize it?

1 milliliter (ml) = 1 cubic centimeter (cc), and a liter includes 1000 ml (by definition); so a column of water 1 cm on a side would have to be 1000 cm (or 10 meters) tall. But when I imagine that column of water - and I think I am remembering correctly that it takes 2.54 cm per inch - I find it hard to imagine that column of water reaching so high from just one liter. But I also can't imagine it reaching only one meter, for whatever that's worth. My brain hurts.

Stirling:
Why do I think Hank's right, even if it seems wrong when I try to visualize it?

1 milliliter (ml) = 1 cubic centimeter (cc), and a liter includes 1000 ml (by definition); so a column of water 1 cm on a side would have to be 1000 cm (or 10 meters) tall. But when I imagine that column of water - and I think I am remembering correctly that it takes 2.54 cm per inch - I find it hard to imagine that column of water reaching so high from just one liter. But I also can't imagine it reaching only one meter, for whatever that's worth. My brain hurts.

And the sad part is, Mark's from the colonies.....heh heh.

1 litre of beer == 10 euros ?! ouch. Glad we dont have the daft political symbol that is the euro here :) Oh, i still drink in pints :)

Another very useful metric thing for calculations is roughly 10m of water is equivalent to 1 atmosphere pressure (ie 1 bar).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom