Metric measurements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank god we all don’t count like the French....

Thank god we all don’t count like the French....
You mean using "soixante-dix" (sixty-ten) for 70, "quatre-vingts" (four-twenties) for 80 and "quatre-vingt-dix" (four-twenty-ten) for 90? I understand that the Belgians and the Swiss may have simplified matters by using "septante" for 70, "huitante" for 80 and "nonante" for 90 in their versions of French.

The German use of "vierundzwanzig" for 24 may be the exact translation of the "four and twenty" in the number of "blackbirds baked in a pie" in the English rhyme Sing a song of sixpence, but it's still quite hard to get one's head around it.

Then there's the Continental European vs Anglo billion/trillion/quadrillion debacle. Is a billion a thousand millions (10^9), or is it a million millions (10^12)?
Long and short scales - Wikipedia

The French and the Germans have the words "milliard" and "Milliarde" respectively for a thousand million. I don't think the word "milliard" has caught on in the English-speaking world, though.

You mean using "soixante-dix" (sixty-ten) for 70, "quatre-vingts" (four-twenties) for 80 and "quatre-vingt-dix" (four-twenty-ten) for 90?
Look at Danish. It's perfectly logical up to forty (firti), but from then on everone else gets confused. Sixty is "tres" (tre snes, i.e. three score), eighty is "firs" (fire snes, i.e. four score). Fifty is "halvtres" (half three score), seventy is "halvfirs" (half four score) and ninety is "halvfems" (half five score). Fortunately, they manage to get back on track at hundred ("hundre")

The French and the Germans have the words "milliard" and "Milliarde" respectively for a thousand million.
As have the Scandinavians.

Four twenties ten nine!!!!!

Yeah, it's stupid.

The French and the Germans have the words "milliard" and "Milliarde" respectively for a thousand million. I don't think the word "milliard" has caught on in the English-speaking world, though.

Russians stole milliard and douzaine but our decimal counting is straightforward and consistent. Except for tumen and myriad and pre-decimal grosses and masses...

I assume you mean this yard

220px-YardOfAle.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom