Mexico diving in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue

Reaction score
I have a couple of weeks of holidays in April and have planned a trip to Mozambique with a stay in Bazarute and Pemba to dive. Due the current flood situation in this country, I might have to reconsider my destination. I thought about Mexico, specially the Yucatan peninsola.
I would like to run away from Cancun and other overcrowded turist resorts. I would also like to do some trekking.
Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Sue

Experienced some great diving in Akumel. Stayed at Villa Derosa. Owners Nancy and Tony Derosa. Incredible cavern/cave diving. Guided cavern is about $ 55 well worth it. Unlimited visability, and interesting things such as haloclines. Lots of little towns from Cancun south to Tulum. Lots of adventure. If you go I don't think you would be dissappointed.

I just got back from Cozumel. Can't beat it! Still touristy but not as bad as Cancun. Lots to do along the coast of Quintana Roo too. The Mayan ruins in the state of Yucatan are fabulous!!!

If you are interested I can give you lots of information. I'd do it tonight, but it's almost 1:00 AM and I'm beat! :)

Beth,
Looking forward to your trip report. Glad you had a great time.
:sunny:

Hi Sue,

As you have indicated a desire to be away from tourist actvity & to do some trekking, one of my favorite spots for this is at the far southern end of the Yucatan Peninsula, a small Mexican city called Xcalak. This place is so remote it has no food store, being served twice a week by a mobile one. It's easiest to reach if you have a car, being about 2 hours south of Cancun. I believe there is bus service, but probably not daily. There are several places to stay, but I recommend to Costa de Coco, which is on the beach, comfortable & friendly. They'll help you with transportation & diving info. You'll essentialy be in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve, which is super exploring. Saw a couple of jaguar last time I was there.

Could also go to neighboring Belize, dive laid back Caye Caulker for a bit, and then go exploring/trekking nature preserves like Coxscomb & the ruins at Altun Ha, Caracol, Cerros, Lamanai, Lubaantun & Xunantunich.

Hope this gets you started.

DocVikingo

Hi

Thanks for all the information. I'm really considering Mexico as a destination, more than Mozambique.

Cozumel seems great and Xcalak perfect (tnx DocV!).

How easy is it to rent a car in Mexico? and how is driving in the Yucatan? 2 years ago I drove from San Diego to Tijuana and it was a terrible experience (I've found out later that my US insurance from Avis was not valid there, so I was lucky for not having an accident).

zman: I'm taking the AOW certificate, but I think even with that one I'm not allowed to dive in caves, am I?

Cheers

Sue

Sue: You are right you are not able to do cave diving however you as an AOW card you will be able to experience the Caverns. The difference is in a cavern even though you have an overhead environment you have visability to an exit at all times. It is also guided at this level, its really quite spectacular. You might think the caverns are small like caves can be however in Akumal they average 20' across or more and 15 to 25' high.If you want some more info I'll find some links for you.

Zman

:tree:

Sue,
IMHO renting a car in Mexico is not a good idea. Are you a woman traveling alone? If, yes, then it's 100% not a good idea. Your U.S. insurance will not cover you, as you know.
I'm anything but a whimp, and I would never, I mean never, rent a car and drive in Mexico to do any extended driving.
I hope you might consider Cozumel. It may not be as 'exotic or remote' as Xcalak, but the diving is fantastic, and it's much safer and easier to get around. Of course this on my own experience, and it is only my opinion.

Natasha

Usually I travel alone, but for this trip I'll be with a friend who took OW certificate with me (not doing the AOW tough).
I think I'll take your advice of not renting a car there, even if I'm used to drive in chaotic traffic over here (Lisbon-Portugal).
The only thing is that having about 17 days to spend, I would also like to move around a bit and Belize sounded great, mainly those less explored areas. Any suggestions?

Take care!

Sue

Sue,
I understand your experience with chaotic driving. I have drove in Madrid, Spain, and all the way down to Costa Del Sol from Madrid. While I loved it, they are a wild bunch of drivers, indeed. That is not why I say "no" to Mexico. It is because there have been quite a few reported 'unsafe' occurrences with the locals and driving, and you are indeed at their mercy. I'm sure I will get #%#@ for saying this.
Anyway, back to the subject.
Belize is great, and with that many days, you should travel there also. You might even be able to fly over to Roatan. Roatan might make you happy, because it's far from the crowded scene in Cancun.
I'm sure you're going to have a wonderful time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom