Mexico diving in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Natasha,

Given your statement, "I hope you might consider Cozumel. It may not be as 'exotic or remote' as Xcalak, but the diving is fantastic, and it's much safer and easier to get around. Of course this on my own experience,...," I'm curious as to what dangers you experienced in the southern Yucatan region?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

Well, Doc,
I knew I would get some criticism for my statements.
I don't think it would be dangerous for Sue to go there, but I do think it could be dangerous for her to dive there when she is not covered by any insurance.
I had a feeling she might be traveling alone, which I was wrong about.
Like I said, it is just my opinion, like everything I write. Not always based on experience, sometimes based on experience, sometimes based on things I have read, or heard, or even seen on TV.
IMHO, I think Cozumel is an easier place for someone to get around in, and I don't think it is as crowded as Cancun.
:sunny:

Hi Sue,

Well I'm going to have to disagree with Natasha here. (Sorry Natasha! :() Mexico is a big country and as in the US there are places that are safer than others and I believe it is perfectly safe to rent a car and drive all over this part of Mexico. In fact, if you are doing a lot of travelling it's the only way that makes sense. You don't have to figure out when (or if) buses are going where, and you can lock you belongings in the trunk if you want to wander around the ruins and such!

Both times I have been to the Yucatan we rented a car and put several hundred miles on it through our wanderings. In fact the only time I've been scared in traffic was when I was riding in a cab!!!

You will want to purchase insurance though (in fact most places it's mandatory to purchase liability insurance, and for extra you can get collision insurance too). But in my opinion it's the easiest way to get around if you want to see a lot of different places. If you can change a tire you shouldn't have any problems. :) (Just buy a good map before you go.)

I bought a guidebook that should you decide to go to Mexico I would suggest getting. I looked at several, bought two and this is my favorite. It's called "Yucatan & Southern Mexico" by Cadogan. It's very informative giving history on the area, places to stay, general prices, where to eat, things to do, where to buy gas, how to get around, etc., etc., etc.

You didn't say whether your friend was male or female, so in case it's a she I want to quote a bit from the book: "On the whole women travellers do not experience great difficulties in southern Mexico. . . the pervasive machismo archetypally associated with Mexico is far less noticeable in the south . . . Two women travelling together will rarely encounter harassment" In fact, I was going to go see all the ruins with just my sister, but then she couldn't come so I convinced my husband to come with.

My only concern with your trip is the time you are going. It's going to be getting pretty HOT! We got tired of drinking warm water so for this trip we brought powdered Gatorade with us. It makes warm (and even very warm) water much more tolerable! :)

When I read about Xcalak in my guide book I wanted to go, bad! But we already had our trip planned out for this year so I'll have to save it for another! Belize is not far from there either and it would be easy to get a bus to Belize from Chetumal. You won't be able to drive a rented car there. However, if you have a rental car you can park it for about $7 - $10 a day in a 24 hour protected lot. We do that in Playa del Carmen when we go stay in Cozumel for a couple of days. Then when we come back from Cozumel we just grab our car and drive to the airport. Sure beats trying to haul all your luggage on a bus or into a taxi!

Anyway, I could go on and on about this subject so feel free to ask me any further questions you might have.

Good luck, Beth

I've been to Cancun several times and rented a car once. We didn't have any problems, but we heard the horror stories from others who say, "You wreck, you go to jail, a Mexican jail!" I choose to brush it off as BS, but who knows. The only times I ever felt imtimadated was the time we hired a taxi, through our resort, to take us to Carlos & Charlies. He went the long way around and through Cancun for some reason, I wandered several times just where the hell he was going, since he seemed to speak little English and me no spanish, it was a little unsettling. The other time we caught a bus and missed our stop. We ended up in downtown Cancun, as we exited the bus, this big one-eyed Mexican got off behind us, then approached us, my wife nearly freaked. But can you believe all he wanted was to help us find our way back to where we were going. He told us exactly which bus to take, waited for us to board it, and absolutely refused the $10 bill I offered him. Makes you wander just how bad it really is.

I'm really thrilled about this trip (almost forgetting Mozambique!)
Beth: I've bought the Rough Guide (Maya World - about Southern Mexico, Belize and so on) as well as the Insight Guide of Mexico. They usually help me to plan my trips. I'll look for the book you've recommended.
I'm not concern about the heat (I live in Portugal!) and I'm looking forward to dive in warm waters, leaving behind my 7mm semi-wet suit!
My concern about driving/renting a car there comes from what I've read in those books - if you happen to have an accident, as a foreigner, you're always guilty! But I do realize that this is the best way to move around. Besides that I was in Peru last summer, and I almost had a heart attack each time I was taking a cab in Lima, so I'm a bit worried about local drivers skills.
I also read about Cenotes and I wanted to ask if it worth it to go there.

Cheers

Sue

Hi Natasha,

I'm not sure I'd categorize my request for the experiences you alluded to as "criticism." I was sincerely interested. Being a large male who has travelled some in Mexico & speaks a little Spanish, my experiences around the Yucatan Peninsula, which have included diving, driving & exploring, may well have been different from those of persons with other characteristics. If so, then I'd like to hear about them

In any event, I fully agree with you that Coz is easier to get about on & less crowded than Cancun.

Peace.

DocVikingo

Peace and Love back to you Doc!
I guess you might be able to read between the lines here and see that I have gotten quite conservative in my old age.
I don't like to offer the trips that I think are more off the 'beaten path'.
I know there are several "adventure travelers" and in my youth, I was one also.
It can be a lot of fun. But for many years as a single woman, there are dangers that you do encounter.
I could go on and on with stories, but I'm sure you get the picture.
I sell travel all day. {in between playing on here}
Liability issues are always on my mind, so I'm sure my answers reflect that.
Sue sounds like a smart lady.
I'm sure she will decide for herself what is best for her holiday time.
My answers will always be what I think are the safest for the traveler asking for help.
So of course what I think is safe, and what someone else sees as safe, will always be two different things.
I hope I made peace with everyone.
:sunny:

Hi Natasha and DocV

Thanks both for your words: if I'm not smart I should be 'cause I've been travelling a lot on my own. I just pretend to be careful, although I really enjoy adventure (not risk). In my trips, which involves always some kind of activity, I usually try escape from crowded tourist places, that is easy with climbing and mountaineering, but more difficult in what concerns diving - that's why I feel so attracted by Xcalak.

I think having around 17 days I'll be able to travel a lot and check out loads of things - I'll definitely follow your advice in what concerns places and transportation/lodging. As I still have one month left I'll be able to plan everything.

Take care (and keep posting! I really appreciate it here!)

Sue

Sue and kyleterry: I did make it to the cenotes. I just posted a trip report in this forum so you can check out the cenote information I have. Thanks for telling me about them kyleterry! :)

Warhammer: I too have been very pleasantly surprised with the helpfulness and friendliness of the people there! The only thing I hate is the hustling: come buy this, eat here, and the poor little kids out trying to sell stuff!

Natasha my friend, I don't believe you offended anyone to have had to make peace! :)

You are definitely being the responsible adult here and warning of possible dangers. Unfortunately age hasn't dampered my sometimes irresponsible love of adventure any yet! LOL

However, I do believe it's safe to drive in the Yucatan, but as always, we need to be aware of and alert for any possible dangers, especially us women!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom