MGE Reel and SMB's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreckaddict

Reaction score
Help!!!

I am considering purchasing an MGE Reel to be used in conjunction with an SMB for deco hang purposes. This is based on research on the merits of various reels, via the internet although I have not actually had a chance to see or try out the reel.

My problem is that there are two (2) models of the above reel. One model is a ratchet version and the other is non ratchet.

Can anyone give me some advice on ths various pro's and con's of either model, or ratchet reels versus non ratchet reels in general, for use in deploying SMB's?

Thanks in advance.:confused:

I use a ScubaPro reel with my SMB. It has the option of using or disabling the ratchet, and using a friction tensioner.
For deployment of the SMB I disable the ratchet, when I drift dive while towing a plastic surface marker I use it with the ratchet enabled.

Back
Top Bottom