Michigan diver dead on Spiegel Grove - Key Largo, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Michigan man dies while diving Monday off Key Largo
A 61-year-old Michigan man died while diving off Key Largo Monday, the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office says.

Robert Gaskins of Clinton, Mich.,was aboard the boat Republic Diver out of Tavernier. He was diving on the wreck of the Spiegel Grove. The Spiegel Grove, a former military ship, was intentionally scuttled as an artificial reef in 2002 about six miles off Key Largo. The ship is 510 feet long and 84 feet high.

At the wreck, Gaskins became unresponsive and was brought back aboard the boat and then brought to shore at the Port Largo Homeowner’s Park about 10 a.m. Paramedics met the boat and transported him to Mariners Hospital in Tavernie, where he was pronounced dead.

Whelp. That sucks...

This one? USS Spiegel Grove (LSD-32) - Wikipedia

DeathsEdit
In April 2003, Eunice Lasala, 48, of Fredericksburg, Virginia, died from a medical condition after surfacing, after diving the Spiegel Grove.[5][9]

On 20 April 2005, Tarik Khair-el-din, 44 of Indiatlantic, Florida, made it to the surface after running out of air but drowned, after diving the Spiegel Grove.[5]

In February 2006, David Hargis, 48, of Kansas City, Missouri, died from a medical problem after making it back to the surface in distress, after diving the Spiegel Grove.[5][10]

On 16 March 2007 three divers (Kevin Coughlin, 51; Jonathan Walsweer, 38; and Scott Stanley, 55 – all from New Jersey) died while attempting a penetration dive down inside the remains of the Spiegel Grove.[5][7][11]

On 17 October 2013, Captain Joseph Dragojevich, 43, of Lake County Emergency Medical Services, Florida, went missing in a penetration dive deep inside the wreck, and was found the following day by rescue teams in a room inside the Spiegel Grove far from any possible exit.[5]

On 18 June 2015, Arne Berg, 65, of Dallas, Texas, surfaced after diving the Spiegel Grove and became unresponsive. He was taken aboard a dive vessel, where crew members performed CPR. Berg was taken to shore at the Port Largo subdivision and transported to Mariners Hospital, where he was pronounced dead just before noon. This brings the total number of diver fatalities at the wreck to eight.[5][12]

On 24 April 2017, Robert Gaskins, 61, of Clinton, Michigan, became unresponsive on the wreck, then was brought back aboard the boat and then to shore at the Port Largo Homeowner’s Park. Paramedics met the boat and transported him to Mariners Hospital in Tavernie, where he was pronounced dead.[5][13]

Thanks, @Dan_T. It never occurred to me to check Wikipedia for wreck info so I was assuming he meant some official FL Key collaborative source. Bet you're right & now I'm curious about all the other wreck info in Wikipedia so down the rabbit hole I go. lol

So sad. Just read about that one. That boat in Key Largo (Rainbow Reef) is a class act. We really enjoyed our dives with them. I'm going to assume it was a medical event at depth, unless anyone has heard otherwise?

I'm staying off the Wiki "death list" don't want to start thinking there's some curse on the Spiegel!

Back
Top Bottom