Michigan Inland Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jerryg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've searched the forums and the internet and am having difficulty locating good spring fed inland lakes in Michigan for diving. Does anybody on this site dive the inland lakes. I'm not interested in the great lakes, but the small inland lakes. Thanks for any help any of you can provide.
Jerry G

Take a look in Chris Kohl's book he list some of the inland lakes around Mi that might be worth wile to dive. There isn't many but a few, can't remember their names at the moment. I have only dove a one around petosky, Waloon Lake, and it wasn't all that great. I useally went down to the quarries in northen ohio(Whitestar, Portage, and Gilboa) when I lived near detroit.

I don't know any lakes around your area. Could give you some ideas if you don't mind a 3 hour drive.

Higgins Lake has been popular in the past, there was a air fill spot not too far from a dive area but it's now gone.
Have you dove in the bay off Traverse City, Scuba North runs charters into the bay.
Have you thought about Tobemorey Canada? You can shore dive, or boat dive at your convienience at Tobemorey there are wrecks off shore and near shore.

Well Jerry I am having similiar issues in my area... However I am still in search. Have located one within a 20 min drive from me. Otter Lake, but would like to find more than that.

If you are adventurous there is orchard lake, Union lake, Maceday lake, and the St. Claire River.

Maceday is one I really enjoyed but I havent been there in about 15 years.

Good luck
Rich

I cycled past Maceday Lake last week when it was 90+ and it looked so cool and blue and inviting. The guy at the DNR ramp said there was no beach access anywhere but I think you could definitely skip over the fence on the West side (just about where it says "Danger. No Swimming"!). Alternatively, find someone with a boat...

15 years ago we used to stop in a register at the DNR office.. then they would tell us where we could park (there was a place across from the access point) and then we had to climb down a steep hill to the water... there was a short beach and then it dropped off pretty quick.. like a 75 degree angle to 100+ft. It used to be kind of a pain but it had great vis then... cant imagine what it is now.

Rich

I'm not sure if there is a source specifically for 'spring fed' inland lakes but your on the right track. Word of mouth, the local dive shops, internet searches and the board are typically your best best. Another source is "Divers Guide to Michigan" by Steve E. Harrington. It was published in 1997 so some of the info. will be outdated.

Paula

Back
Top Bottom