Micro HD (32gb) and the 10x macro lens - still cannot really do macro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbarbara11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I am new to underwater photography. I dive most weekends around the North Shore of Boston. I have taken some good stills and video of larger marine life (including other divers :)) with this camera. It is easy...and idiot proof (which I need). I knew I was going to want to take some shots of the smaller critters so I got the macro 10x lens. I realize the fish eye lens in built into the Micro HD and the 10x macro lens corrects it and allows for shots as close as 1 foot. This was a little disappointing to me as I tried to shoot some nudibranchs and every single shot turned out blurry. This was late spring/early summer so I figured I was new and moving around too much.

Now that it is August, I have learned (from the folks at Undersea Divers in Beverly MA where renowned UW photographer Andy Martinez frequently works with the shop and divers) that I need to get very stable (like on a rock) than shoot, a lot. I did that with a grubby sculpin but all 20+ shots still turned out blurry. I am guessing I was too close (i.e. less than a foot) or too far.

Is there really no way of getting a good detailed macro shots with this camera of creatures an inch or less in size...with all the detail? Is there a custom lens someone can build for this camera? (I know, THAT would be pricey if Sealife does not make it).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim

Lay out a yardstick, one end near you, the other end away. Take a picture with the camera/macro-lens at the near end, pointed toward the far end. Look at the see which distances are sharp.
Oh, and you need to do this underwater, maybe in a bathtub.

You'll probably find there is very little depth-of-field....so the trick will not just be getting close and still, but at just the right distance. It will help if you have plenty of light.

The SeaLife 10X Close-Up Lens has an effective focus range of 6” to 24” when underwater. Without the 10X lens attached, the camera will have focus range of 12” to infinity. With some practice you will get good at maintaining the minimum shooting distance. Suggest using your hand as a measuring tool. For example, my stretched-out index finger measures 6” from fingertip to wrist. SeaLife is always working on new product developments, so keep your eyes out for some new lenses J.

OP, I reread your original post.
Nudibranchs are typically too small for that camera/lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom