Micronesia for a month under $6-8k?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orenbvip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking to plan a month dive intensive trip. I backpack/scuba dive every winter. This year I only have a month but more funds than previous years. In the past I've done pretty well on a $3-4k a month budget for diving SE Asia (sipidan, lembeh, komodo, philippines, bali, thailand, etc). I was wondering what I would need to do a month in Micronaisa , from everything i've seen EVERYTHING is expensive.

I have found the Airpass deal (multiple flights) which could help ease the pain. I also have enough AMEX point to fly out to Guam/Manilla so the airfare is less of an issue, unless I am wrong?

What would be the cheapest I could dive around Micronesia for? I'd like to spend $8k or less for a month, Also what are the best bang for the buck spots? Would Palau, Yap, and Truuk be possible given my budget.

Lastly If it turns out its not feasible, perhaps I could do Philippines for a few weeks and do one week in Palau?

Sorry if this is too vague or too many questions. I am open to any suggestions or help.

Thanks!

---------- Post added August 27th, 2013 at 04:56 PM ----------

Oh also this will be for the month of december.

PNG is roughly twice the price of asia, cant speak for the rest of micronesia though.

I think it could be done, but would be tight obviously. I would look for specials on the liveaboards. At one point the Palau Aggressor was doing a special for about $2k/week. This might be harder to do a year in advance. There were some other posts about cheap accommodation options in Palau a while back. You can probably stay and eat cheaply for $100/day, but the diving will cost you.

The Philippines/Palau option you mentioned sounds like a possibility. You can live cheap there obviously (although the dive shop I used wasn't actually that cheap on the diving). I would then combine it with a week or two (if you can find a cheap rate) on a liveaboard on Palau. They really are a good value if you plan to dive hard (and you have a very good idea of what the costs will be up front, just remember to ask about dive permit fees etc when they are quoting the price. They don't hide anything, but there are required fees in addition to the base rate).

Palau conveniently uses US Dollars currency, is relatively easy to get to from LAX/SFO gateways, and is my favorite warm water tropical diving vacation, with the best overall variety of wall, healthy reef, big schooling fish & shark/manta ray action, and drift diving in the world. . . !

Budget accommodations often packaged with Sam's Tours Dive-ops above are DW Motel, and Lehns Motel ($45/night).

Many more airlines other than United are now flying to Koror Palau (Japan Airlines; Korean Airlines; China Airlines; Asiana and Delta), so shop around for the lowest fare.

if your plan is for this December, then as mentioned in a previous reply there is a deal on the Palau Aggressor but it expires on the 20th Sep, so you would have to make your mind up quickly. United airlines fly directly from Manila to Palau, so this could tie in with your Philippine suggestion and as your probably aware having dived the Philippines before it wouldn't be a problem with your remaining budget to spend a few weeks there.

Ok that is excellent actually. How much are flights from Manila to Palau? I think ill call you this week to book.

Back
Top Bottom