Midlife Adventure Crisis!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is magical. Is it some kind of octopus? May I share it on my facebook page (giving you credit, of course)?

It's a type of plant ... it grows in the eelgrass beds. Out here it's referred to simply as a "medusa" ... and feel free to share ... :cool:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Often the shallows are where the best life is at. I did two dives on Sunday at one of my all-time favorite shore dives ... a place called Sekiu, on the westernmost part of Washington State. First dive maxed at 26 feet, second was at 34. Besides having amazing stuff to look at, the shallower dives meant longer profiles ... 87 and 72 minutes, respectively. We found 11 different species of nudibranchs on those two dives ... but this was my favorite subject, found in six feet of water ...

View attachment 463814

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Hey Bob, great photo! I am moving back up to the PNW next month after a 2 year hiatus here in So Cal. I have always wanted to dive Sekiu, but haven't. I will be in Tacoma for the next year. Les Davis and Titlow will be my house reefs. Would love to dive together some day. All the best!

Hey Bob, great photo! I am moving back up to the PNW next month after a 2 year hiatus here in So Cal. I have always wanted to dive Sekiu, but haven't. I will be in Tacoma for the next year. Les Davis and Titlow will be my house reefs. Would love to dive together some day. All the best!

Would happily dive with you ... but I'm just a few months from retirement, at which point I'm going to sell my house and go on walkabout ... perhaps for the rest of my life.

I work in Tacoma ... it's a great area, with some really nice dive sites. Day Island Wall is probably the best diving in Tacoma, although Titlow (very close by) is also very good.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Would happily dive with you ... but I'm just a few months from retirement, at which point I'm going to sell my house and go on walkabout ... perhaps for the rest of my life.

I work in Tacoma ... it's a great area, with some really nice dive sites. Day Island Wall is probably the best diving in Tacoma, although Titlow (very close by) is also very good.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Looking forward to Day Island Wall and getting out on the Bandito regularly. If you are going on an extended walkabout, keep us posted on your experiences. I was one of those rare ones that got to do a 13 year walkabout the world in 2 segments, from a very young age. 19-26 years old and then again between 31-37 years old. Hope to be doing the extended and uninterrupted walkabout 7-10 years from now.

Goodness, I didn't even start diving till I was 49. At 55 I was just getting into tech diving, particularly deep wrecks. At 57 I took up cave diving ... and a year later became full cave certified. At 59 I took up solo diving. I'm 66 now, and am probably done with cave and deep tech dives ... but otherwise I just keep my ascents slow and dive my usual profiles ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Looks like I am doing it a little bit in reverse... started at 52, solo at 53 and scheming for what might be next, but struggling with finding the time at the moment... too long of a moment it seems...

And to your other post: The regimen may work quite well, but the secret sauce i think is regularly 4x a week. ... struggling with that too unfortunately, but that will change again.

Oh, and that picture... - truly magical, I totally second @Wookie on that.

I dream of living on a sailboat, cruising warm waters, and swimming or freediving almost every day,and tank diving when it’s feasible and desired. But my partner’s favorite vessel is his recliner, favorite reef is TV. Sigh.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Congrats on the retirement, and please consider blogging about your walkabout. Either here or your website. Have fun!

I could risk MORE now... less time left, gonna die anyway, you know.

I respectfully disagree with this premise based on how I feel now at 58... The less I have of something, the more I value it.

I'm thankful everyday that I'm a diver.
And for having lived parts of the last twenty years underwater.
And for having seen some amazing things there.

My bucket is getting bigger. Just a few more years, then watch out world.
My mission now is to stay healthy.

I've enjoyed this thread immensely.
Thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom