Midwestern quarry diving doesn’t have to be low viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like a fantastic spooky dive.

I should not complain about our subtropical waters here, but I really wish there was some of that type of diving around where I live.

For those that did the Gilboa Veteran's Day Dive -- would you mind sharing what drysuits you wore and what you wore underneath? I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get a drysuit in the Spring, and I'm just trying to get an idea of what people typically wear for those conditions. (I can handle diving wet into the low 50s, but
i'm finally getting to the point where I have to admit I will eventually need a drysuit to exend the season a month or two on either side.) Thanks -- if you're willing to share.

For those that did the Gilboa Veteran's Day Dive -- would you mind sharing what drysuits you wore and what you wore underneath? I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get a drysuit in the Spring, and I'm just trying to get an idea of what people typically wear for those conditions. (I can handle diving wet into the low 50s, but
i'm finally getting to the point where I have to admit I will eventually need a drysuit to exend the season a month or two on either side.) Thanks -- if you're willing to share.

I didn’t do the Veteran’s Day dive, but I was there the day before. Had 51F at 60ft. It was colder deeper. Fusion drysuit with Thermal Fusion undersuit and 250gram Smart Wool base layer. I was warm. I always have dry gloves with Fourth Element fleece liners. Merino wool socks with a silk liner. I’ve taken this down to 41F and was just a wee bit chilly at the end of the dive. I also have a fair bit of bioprene, which helps. I also happen to like cold.

A good hood helps a lot. I always wear Waterproof brand.

I will need to add this quarry to our dive list. Had hoped to get another dive in, but our lakes are frozen now. I think a dry suit is right around the corner.

Back
Top Bottom