Miflex High Pressure Hose Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what I'm amazed at more, that they finally have a recall or that people are still defending the piece of crap. And as I've shown here, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/xs-scuba/359672-miflex-hp-manufacturer-comment-please.html , its not just the rupture failure it's the ridiculous design of the HP fitting that can come unscrewed which is what happened to me. I have zero respect for XS scuba.

Additional reading http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/359480-how-miflex-hp-ruined-my-dive.html

I got my replacement hose Friday and it looks very nice. It's wider, has permanent hose protectors and very fine finish. They're also gray color to distinguish them from the old hoses. I expect these will be very safe.

I always felt that the small diameter had a lot to do with the reported failures, as it results in more bending and torque stress on the hose.

My hose was exchanged within a week. The replacement hose has rubber strain reliefs (boots) at both ends and the hose itself is thicker diameter.

As much as I did not like the whole fact that a recall was necessary, I have to say that the recall part of the problem was handled promptly by the manufacturer.

My OMS backwing purge valve recall wasn't addressed for nearly 4 months.

Here it is........Thicker and the end fittings are a bit different, too.

Looking forward to putting it back on my rig :)

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Attachments

• IMG_9680.jpg
    IMG_9680.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_9681.jpg
    IMG_9681.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_9682.jpg
    IMG_9682.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_9683.jpg
    IMG_9683.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 459
Here it is........Thicker and the end fittings are a bit different, too.

Looking forward to putting it back on my rig :)

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Thanks for the photos! My replacement just arrived today and I was about to take some photos to post here..... Guess I don't need to now! :D

BTW. I mailed mine back on Friday April 20th and received it today. That's 10 days from mailing it to having the new one in hand. I would say that is pretty responsive on their part!

But the rest of the world, can still use them without any problem... according to Miflex in this document attached.

I am based in Australia and purchased one of these from divegearexpress.com and another from scuba.com .

divegearexpress have been marvellous and have offered to replace the one that they sold me if I provided a photgraph of the destroyed hose (waiting for it to arrive any day now).

scuba.com have been absolutely useless. They have palmed me off to XS scuba, who are arguing that the recall is for US and Canada only, and refuse to ship replacements anywhere except to North American addresses.

So basically the rest of the world gets no assistance.

I am based in Australia and purchased one of these from divegearexpress.com and another from scuba.com .

divegearexpress have been marvellous and have offered to replace the one that they sold me if I provided a photgraph of the destroyed hose (waiting for it to arrive any day now).

scuba.com have been absolutely useless. They have palmed me off to XS scuba, who are arguing that the recall is for US and Canada only, and refuse to ship replacements anywhere except to North American addresses.

To be fair it's the fault of Miflex not Scuba.com or XSScuba.

Same response from XS for me, shipping only to Canada or the US not outside.
Scubatoys offers me from the begining to send the hose back to Xs to get a replacement, but shipping costs from Peru and back.... :(

Amigos,

Installed mine back on a standard SPG head with new Spud (two o-ring swivel thing) and when pressure tested it turns easier than previous model. So I assume the barrel end crimps are different, too.

All I know is it works :)

I actually route it OVER my left shoulder bungied alongside my Balance BC / Airsource combination Octopus / Inflator hose. It's literally like diving with only one hose over each shoulder without complication of another battery like a hoseless transmitter dive computer.

Add my wrist dive computer and it's super simple and streamlined.....

YMMV

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Seems funny that 189 hoses failed out of how many? and so many people on this site were the "recipients of defective hoses"
Guess we were lucky. Out of 5 regs outfitted with miflex hoses (high & low pressure) not a complaint or problem.

I will bet if you did some research you will find that the failure rate is much higher with "regular hoses". I can tell you that from experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom