Miflex HP blowout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I bought this a few years ago. Sent it to XS Scuba in Feb this year just to make sure that it was not one of the the recalled hoses. It was not.

Set up my gear yesterday at Shark River in NJ. Then started putting on my wetsuit. Huge explosion after 2 mins. I turned off the tank and noticed that I no longer had an SPG! Hose and SPG minus male connector were found 35 feet away on the river bank. (Lucky I carry an extra SPG in my car).

That was scary. Quite a missile. Not sure why they were originally recalled but this was bad.

Here is the damage. Does XS Scuba still stand behind these things?

IMG_5066.jpg

I bought this a few years ago. Sent it to XS Scuba in Feb this year just to make sure that it was not one of the the recalled hoses. It was not.

Set up my gear yesterday at Shark River in NJ. Then started putting on my wetsuit. Huge explosion after 2 mins. I turned off the tank and noticed that I no longer had an SPG! Hose and SPG minus male connector were found 35 feet away on the river bank. (Lucky I carry an extra SPG in my car).

That was scary. Quite a missile. Not sure why they were originally recalled but this was bad.

Here is the damage. Does XS Scuba still stand behind these things?

View attachment 213430

I'd bet they don't want to stand in front of it.:wink:

I suspect the answer lies in the details of what you mean be "a few years ago".

Their warranty: [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

• XS Scuba warrants to the original owner that all of its products are free of defects in materials and workmanship for a period of two years with proof of purchase.

Hi Tridacna and All Others Viewing this Thread, Please note, this is not a Miflex hose nor was this hose ever sold by XS Scuba. If you sent the hose in this Feb as stated, then your same hose was returned to you because it is not one of our hoses. We are sorry to hear what transpired at the river and we are glad to hear that nobody was injured.

Point of courtesy, and a better way to have a company help you, is to talk to them BEFORE bringing it up on the web. If you are posting as a safety lesson then post in Near Misses and phrase it something like "a high pressure braided hose failed"

To XS-Scuba, why don't you post a picture of the markings on your product and how it is different than the failed one.

Innovative Scuba Phantom Hose recall?

Attachments

• PhantomRecallPic2.jpg
    PhantomRecallPic2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 670
From the web page...This recall applies only to the specific 11Q3, 11Q4, and 12Q1 lots of double braided flexible high-pressure SCUBA hoses that are intended for use with submersible pressure gauges (SPG). This recall does NOT affect other double braided low-pressure regulator hoses or BCD inflator hoses.
Identification:

• Black nylon braided outer covering on hose
  • Hose diameter approximately 7/16 inch
  • Manufacturing Stamp of 11Q3, 11Q4, and 12Q1

If your braided high-pressure hose has any of the above 3 date code stamps immediately remove the hose. Call 1-800-472-2740 or fill out the return authorization form below and return the hose to Innovative Scuba Concepts, Inc. No packaging or proof of purchase is required

Point of courtesy, and a better way to have a company help you, is to talk to them BEFORE bringing it up on the web. If you are posting as a safety lesson then post in Near Misses and phrase it something like "a high pressure braided hose failed"

To XS-Scuba, why don't you post a picture of the markings on your product and how it is different than the failed one.

My mistake. Somehow I was convinced that this was Miflex. Now looks like Innovative. Weird because I don't remember buying from them.

From the web page...This recall applies only to the specific 11Q3, 11Q4, and 12Q1 lots of double braided flexible high-pressure SCUBA hoses that are intended for use with submersible pressure gauges (SPG). This recall does NOT affect other double braided low-pressure regulator hoses or BCD inflator hoses.
Identification:

• Black nylon braided outer covering on hose
  • Hose diameter approximately 7/16 inch
  • Manufacturing Stamp of 11Q3, 11Q4, and 12Q1

If your braided high-pressure hose has any of the above 3 date code stamps immediately remove the hose. Call 1-800-472-2740 or fill out the return authorization form below and return the hose to Innovative Scuba Concepts, Inc. No packaging or proof of purchase is required

Thanks for additional info, I'll check my HP hose right now.

---------- Post added July 25th, 2015 at 11:54 PM ----------

Mine has I1014 written on it. Perhaps it's not a phantom. I'll check my other reg set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom