Miflex + SPG + Bolt Snap = Floppy and sliding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Straegen

New Fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the Miflex hoses I put on as they pack up easier. The only issue I have run into is that the bolt snap on my SPG hose slides around causing the SPG to flop around a bit. I tried zip tie originally then I thought string and a knot would work but neither do.

The simple answer may be to go back to a rubber hose that becomes very stiff when it pressurizes but I figured I wasn't the first person to run into this and someone might have a pretty good solution so I can keep the miflex. Thoughts?

I attached the bolt snap directly to the fitting. Using the small recess between the hose fitting and the SPG itself to hold it in place.

I still can't decide if I want to keep that hose or not. It's too thin and spool doesn't work right under pressure, but then regular hoses are too rigid.

Why not tie the bolt snap onto the swage or the swivel point, instead of the hose itself? The grooves will keep the line in place.

It is an option certainly but it puts the bolt snap really close to the SPG itself which makes unclipping a bit more of a chore. All things considered probably the best course of action.

The simple answer may be to go back to a rubber hose that becomes very stiff when it pressurizes...

"No more bets please... we have a winner. No more bets."

roulette-ball.jpg

Why not do it the 'right' way (before DIR screwed it up) and use an O ring to hold the hose to snap?

I was able to attach a bolt snap with cave line to the fitting, but finally went back to a standard HP hose--the Miflex is just too floppy for this for me in this application.

I haven't had any problems with my HP Miflex hose and SPGs. I've had both a small and large SPG on Miflex HP hoses. I use a zip tie directly on the fitting. Works like a charm. I've used that set up with both singles and doubles.

PM me if you want me to snap a photo of my rig.

I've also used the short (six inch) Miflex hoses for side mount and used a bungee to hold the SPG in place.

Jeff

I'll try using a zip tie on the fitting and maybe the rubber ORing. I must admit (and I know this isn't streamlined) that I kinda preferred having the bolt snap connected further down a rubber hose about 4" or so and clipped off to my left chest D Ring. I could just glance down and read the gauge without unclipping. Something about it sticking out just didn't feel right to me though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom